Rear pinion help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear pinion help

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 07-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
Travisf90
1998 ZJ 

Rear pinion help

So the other day I was heading home stopped went to make a right hand turn gave her some gas and heard a pop then sounded like I broke my t-case again. I shut ur off got out with the light looked under and the rear drive shaft was laying on the ground. I crawled under the jeep and yanked it off the transfer put it in 4 wheel drive and went home. The next day I was checking things and found out I broke a bolt off. Well I spung the pinion left to right and it has at least a quarter turn left to right. I would like to know is that normal? We had everything out checked bearings and there all good replaced my rear seal. The gears are meshing correctly nothing wore could it be causing extra play since i have a Aussie locker? I don't wanna mess anything up by driving it but i put that locker in over 20k miles and everything seems good any info would help

Travisf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
96zedjay
1996 ZJ 

Can't speak for the aussie but the Detroit Locker in my 8.8 has about 90^ at the pinion.
96zedjay is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
Travisf90
1998 ZJ 

I'm thinking I'm worrying over nothing I just don't wanna burn my rear end up but I mean had everything out and it was good besides some normal wear on my locker
image.jpg  
Travisf90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.