rear Oxygen Sensor Wiring questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > rear Oxygen Sensor Wiring questions

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 11-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
roadcruzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

rear Oxygen Sensor Wiring questions

Just purchase another Jeep for my son, 98 Grand Cherokee. It looks like the wires got ripped apart on the rear 02 sensor behind converter, I am guessing by the rear drive shaft ?? and I do not know which wires go where being the colors do not match. someone worked on this before. It looks like the sensor is relatively new. I was hoping one of you could help out.
This is what I have:
on 02 sensor (behind converter) 2 white wires, 1 black and 1 gray.

on wire harness: 1 green with red strip, 1 black with yellow strip, 1 black with green strip and 1 black with red strip.

Anyone have any idea which wires go where? IT WOULD BE A BLESSING!

Pleasssssse Help!

roadcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Clean the wires up and recheck the colors.

Black to Black /pink - 1 black with red strip
Grey to Black/light blue - 1 black with green strip
White to Dark Green/Orange - 1 green with red strip
White to Black/Tan - 1 black with yellow strip

ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 03:21 AM   #3
Speedymcracer01

Mine is showing a blck/ orange wire this one goes to your powertrain control module. Orange/ dark blue goes to your fuel pump relay.its showing the black/ tan is a ground to z12. Splice, then black/ light blue is a ground to k4, splice. My o2 got caught on my zj's drive shaft before it blew my pcm fuse in the pdc under the hood. All I did was tape the wires up real tight and tucked the o2 wiring harness behind the heat shield. Mine has the four wires also. So that means it's the heated o2 sensor. My wire to the o2 that preheats the sensor is not working properly anymore causing it the spit and sputter for just a moment after that first crank up after the jeep has cooled down. After just a couple seconds after crank up the o2 heats up then she runs perfectly fine
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 05:34 AM   #4
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedymcracer01 View Post
Mine is showing a blck/ orange wire this one goes to your powertrain control module. Orange/ dark blue goes to your fuel pump relay.its showing the black/ tan is a ground to z12. Splice, then black/ light blue is a ground to k4, splice. My o2 got caught on my zj's drive shaft before it blew my pcm fuse in the pdc under the hood. All I did was tape the wires up real tight and tucked the o2 wiring harness behind the heat shield. Mine has the four wires also. So that means it's the heated o2 sensor. My wire to the o2 that preheats the sensor is not working properly anymore causing it the spit and sputter for just a moment after that first crank up after the jeep has cooled down. After just a couple seconds after crank up the o2 heats up then she runs perfectly fine
wrong diagram. that's for an OBD1
Unread 11-05-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
Speedymcracer01

Well **** that's messed up in my book it's saying that was for 98 and earlier models
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
roadcruzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

o2 wiring

Quote:
Doesn't that affect your mileage a lot?
Unread 11-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
roadcruzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well **** that's messed up in my book it's saying that was for 98 and earlier models
So this not the correct diagram or directions? So what happens if I do hook up the wires wrong? Will if burn anything up electrical wise or just still give me the code?
Unread 11-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

That is the correct diagram.
Speedy mc has the old system (pre 96).
96-98 is OBDII compliant. The down stream o2 monitors the condition of the cat. and has very little to do with fuel efficacy. You might see a 1 mpg decrease with the wires ripped out.

The replacement # is Mopar 05013971AA and you can find it on the web for a variety of prices.

I've seen them for as low as $14..... Here's one....http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-PART...-/360713827431
o2d.png

JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
roadcruzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS97ZJ View Post
96-98 is OBDII compliant. The down stream o2 monitors the condition of the cat. and has very little to do with fuel efficacy. You might see a 1 mpg decrease with the wires ripped out.

The replacement # is Mopar 05013971AA and you can find it on the web for a variety of prices.

I've seen them for as low as $14..... Here's one....http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-PART...-/360713827431
SO that being said, do you know which colors hook to which colors that i have?

02 sensor (behind converter) 2 white wires, 1 black and 1 gray.

on wire harness: 1 green with red strip, 1 black with yellow strip, 1 black with green strip and 1 black with red strip
Unread 11-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #10
roadcruzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

O2 sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS97ZJ View Post

I have also read on other forums that with a bad O2 sensor it can make your fuel mixture incorrect and engine starves for fuel and bogs at higher speeds with barely any acceleration. What's your thoughts on that?
Unread 11-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #11
roadcruzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcruzer View Post
I have also read on other forums that with a bad O2 sensor it can make your fuel mixture incorrect and engine starves for fuel and bogs at higher speeds with barely any acceleration. What's your thoughts on that?
I think my sensor is good , it looks pretty new, it's just that wires are ripped off of harness and colors do not match to hook back up.
Unread 11-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
SO that being said, do you know which colors hook to which colors that i have?

02 sensor (behind converter) 2 white wires, 1 black and 1 gray.

on wire harness: 1 green with red strip, 1 black with yellow strip, 1 black with green strip and 1 black with red strip
ZeeJay already gave you the O2 sensor to factory wire colors:

"Black to Black /pink - 1 black with red strip
Grey to Black/light blue - 1 black with green strip
White to Dark Green/Orange - 1 green with red strip
White to Black/Tan - 1 black with yellow strip"
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #13
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

I haven't replaced mine as of yet, and it tore off in the spring. That bogging down and poor acceleration is due to the upstream sensor going bad.
A bad upstream will also cause back firing and take out your cat very, very quickly.

It also might be that the colors are weathered. The diagram I posted is from the 98 manual and my 97 (hard copy) manual concurs with it.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #14
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
So what happens if I do hook up the wires wrong?
it could blow the PCM in a heartbeat. see first post i made for correct wiring. double check the colors. post back what you find.

If it were mine, i would order a connector (thanks JS) and an NTK o2 sensor and fix it right.
Unread 11-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #15
roadcruzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

02 Sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
it could blow the PCM in a heartbeat. see first post i made for correct wiring. double check the colors. post back what you find.

If it were mine, i would order a connector (thanks JS) and an NTK o2 sensor and fix it right.
I will check the colors again and hook up if I am confident but if you are talking blowing out my PCM, I will either order wiring kit and sensor as you said or try it without it hooked up as Zeejay1997 and JS97ZJU stated he did with little difference.
Last night I had cut off the old exhaust behind CAT to install new and behold someone had gutted the Catalytic Converter out. I am not sure if or how this could affect the 02 sensor being gutted.
Do you really think I would need to have this 02 sensor hooked up? What differences do you think it actually would make now?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.