Rear main seal question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear main seal question

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 05-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
JohnC7
1997 ZJ 

Rear main seal question

So i'm getting around to replacing my rear main seal to fix a drip coming from the flex plate. using this guide http://www.dailydriventj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=811 . So my question is, in order to get the oil pan out you have to have clearance from the axle. Is a 2.25" BB enough to let me get the oil pan out without jack the jeep up?

JohnC7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
kachink
1998 ZJ 

Not sure about your question, but that's an excellent writeup that you linked to for any needing to do this repair!
kachink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
JohnC7
1997 ZJ 

Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 05-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

U will need the Jeep jacked up. Mine was on stands and it was raised the equivalent of a 4'' lift with 32'' tires (stock suspension at the time tho) and I had practically every stock suspension component undone minus the control arms and I had to turn mine just the right way to get it out Haynes has a nice pic of what way to twist it for working it out but it needs to be in the air with the axle drooping quite a bit. Good luck
95 zj 5.2 np242 3.5'' IRO lift, IRO adjustable arms, KOR front trackbar, steering stabilizer and box brace, IRO rear adjustable trackbar, bilsteins, Hughes plenum plate, flow master 40, 31x10.5s on 15'' dc-2 rims
Mopar or no car!
moparlover1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
thetammon
1995 ZJ 

Likely its not enough. Mine was jacked waaaay up too. Maybe even closer to 5" I Dropped the steering stabilizer exhaust, jacked it up more... It was still a pain. So hopefully I don't have to do it again until I get a lift haha. Be mindful of the fuel pump too! (No I didn't kill mine)

Sent from something using JeepForum
thetammon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
JohnC7
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetammon View Post
Likely its not enough. Mine was jacked waaaay up too. Maybe even closer to 5" I Dropped the steering stabilizer exhaust, jacked it up more... It was still a pain. So hopefully I don't have to do it again until I get a lift haha. Be mindful of the fuel pump too! (No I didn't kill mine)

Sent from something using JeepForum
Kinda like turning it in this video
Unread 05-19-2013, 12:26 AM   #7
JohnC7
1997 ZJ 

So hopefully someone can answer this for me that has done a rear main. I got the parts and the seal, looking at the seal I noticed that the "wing" of one of the side is torn a bit right before it turns into the half circle on the top. Is this tear okay or should I get a replacement?

Unread 05-19-2013, 01:36 AM   #8
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

Picture? If what you're asking is if the seal is suppose to have that then the answer is no. A tear is not a good sign and the seal will likely leak if installed that way. I say get the replacement. What's another week wait?
95 zj 5.2 np242 3.5'' IRO lift, IRO adjustable arms, KOR front trackbar, steering stabilizer and box brace, IRO rear adjustable trackbar, bilsteins, Hughes plenum plate, flow master 40, 31x10.5s on 15'' dc-2 rims
Mopar or no car!
moparlover1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #9
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Yeah, don't even think about installing that rear seal with a rip/tear in it, take it back and get another. Hope you're using either Mopar or Felpro rear seal/pan gasket since don't believe I'd trust any other brands. I used Mopar for both.

In the write-up/link in your 1st post you won't find a bearing cap brace on your 97 4.0 since it was only installed from the factory on a 96 4.0. I did mine a little different in not using RTV/gasket maker on the pan gasket but did use the Mopar anaerobic gasket maker and have no leaks. I just applied it where the rear main meets the block and where the seam is toward the front where the 2 block pieces come together.

Below is a link/thread where I got the oil pan stuck and the trick was to remove the track bar bolt at the axle to get the axle to drop down far enough to get the pan out. Some real good info from other members in having your tires on the ground and use the steering/body to take the tension off of the TB bolt and aligning it. I also disconnected the sway bar links at the bottom, since they were on a real bind, and the tops of the shocks. Already had the exhaust loose since doing the header replacement at the same time but have seen others say you don't need to loosen the exhaust on the 4.0. Easier to get the pan bolts off if it's loose.

The 2nd part to your rear seal replacement video is also in this thread. Shooting dishwashing liquid soap up in the top slot worked real well and make sure you use a plastic tab for installing the seal so you don't cut the back of the seal. Good luck!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/o...stuck-1363383/

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
JohnC7
1997 ZJ 

I got a new seal from my parts store. Going to start in a couple days here when my friend can come over and give me a hand. One question I have about the upper seal is, what exactly do I put the liquid soap on? Does the liquid soap cover the whole upper seal? or just the tip of the lip?
Unread 05-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
JohnC7
1997 ZJ 

Anyone have know about the soap question?

Unread 05-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #12
davidtownsend
2006 WK 

Flow the you tube link and there is a part two. Watch that and it'll show you the exact spot. You get one side of the top rear main started and then shoot it from the other side.
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #13
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

As already mentioned in my link watch the 2nd video in this post. I was able to get a plastic syringe for free at Walmart pharmacy and any drug store/pharmacy should have them. Then you shoot the liquid dish soap up in the groove and use a plastic piece to guide it in so you don't rip the back of the seal off. Kind of a mess, worked for me, and the soap will be all over the seal.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/o...l#post13508136

Unread 05-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #14
JohnC7
1997 ZJ 

Thank you. I have that video all loaded up on my desktop. I just wanted clarification. So the soap is indeed cover the whole seal if its being shot up into the journal.

One more question. I'm using Permatex ultra black for the bearing cap and the oil pan (with gasket). How long should I wait till I start pouring oil back in and go for a drive?

Unread 05-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #15
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Actually I shot the soap up both sides of the channel until it oozed out so knew I had it in there good. You will get soap on the seal because it's kind of a mess. Also wear safety glasses so you don't end up with soap in your eyes.

Do not use any type of RTV/gasket maker on the rubber pan gasket, it's not meant for this, and it won't leak. You can't use that ultra black on the bearing where it meets the block either. You should use an aeroebic gasket maker there and just a little bit, like a couple drops.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.