"Rear Lamp Failure" When Headlights Are On - 97 Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > "Rear Lamp Failure" When Headlights Are On - 97 Grand Cherokee

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 04-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #1
muellmk

"Rear Lamp Failure" When Headlights Are On - 97 Grand Cherokee

I am getting a "Rear Lamp Failure" message in my 97 Grand Cherokee Laraedo. The brake lights work. All three bulbs in the upper brake light are working. The sequence to reproduce the message is:

1. Insert key into ignition and turn to Start position
2. Press the brake pedal (brake lights work, no error message)
3. Now, if I turn the headlights on via one of the following:

- Explitily turn on headlights
- Turn on front wipers
- Turn over my Jeep (did this at dusk with headlights in auto mode)

I get a Rear Lamp Failure in the VIC. The brake lights still work, but I am stuck with the error message.

I noticed that during the day, if the headlights never come on, the error is never displayed. Once I do something to get the headlights to come on, that is when I get the error. Also, both headlights are working fine.

Any ideas?

Marc

muellmk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
Greeeeenberg
1997 ZJ 

Must just be one of the running light bulbs in the brakes. Sure your brakes light up but is once you let off do you still have light from both tails?

Michigan Tech Jeepers Member #1
Greeeeenberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2009, 12:14 AM   #3
SylarDX
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muellmk View Post
I am getting a "Rear Lamp Failure" message in my 97 Grand Cherokee Laraedo. The brake lights work. All three bulbs in the upper brake light are working. The sequence to reproduce the message is:

1. Insert key into ignition and turn to Start position
2. Press the brake pedal (brake lights work, no error message)
3. Now, if I turn the headlights on via one of the following:

- Explitily turn on headlights
- Turn on front wipers
- Turn over my Jeep (did this at dusk with headlights in auto mode)

I get a Rear Lamp Failure in the VIC. The brake lights still work, but I am stuck with the error message.

I noticed that during the day, if the headlights never come on, the error is never displayed. Once I do something to get the headlights to come on, that is when I get the error. Also, both headlights are working fine.

Any ideas?

Marc

Hmm ..

I am having the same issue man, It's rather annoying! I had my 3rd brake light fixed, and still nothing, it gives me this everytime I turn on my headlights!
SylarDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2009, 02:47 AM   #4
dcvance87
2006 TJ Wrangler 

mine is saying that too right now. look really hard. we have lotsa bulbs back there lol. check the 194 bulbs on the sides of the tail lights too. That's where mine is out and it was hard to even tell until I looked for a while. check each and every bulb.
Unread 04-21-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
SylarDX
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcvance87 View Post
mine is saying that too right now. look really hard. we have lotsa bulbs back there lol. check the 194 bulbs on the sides of the tail lights too. That's where mine is out and it was hard to even tell until I looked for a while. check each and every bulb.
Got ya, I will do that. thank you!
SylarDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

I had a momentary message display like that when it was raining really hard last week, but I knew what the problem was right away since my trailer light socket got trashed last time I was wheeling. If you have the towing package also check inside the plug for corrosion.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
S_U_F_F_I_X

I got the same problem in my 94 .v6 all the lights work except for my rear running lights all bulbs are new and all fuses are fine. i can't fig it out.....
S_U_F_F_I_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
sprocket1200
2001 WJ 

when I had this issue, all bulbs and fuse were fine. took the bulbs out and cleaned them and connectors even though they look like good contact was being made. added that battery grease to make good contact and now works like a charm
sprocket1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
billybixby

Rear Lamp Failure

OK, so for our proposes the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over only to come to the same result. Well, This seems to be an issue a lot of people are having.
I'm working on a 5.9L Grand Cherokee, Obviously we all know the year!

Ok, went through this same issue, "rear lamp failure" nonsense. checked around the entire jeep, 5 times, and stupidly started replacing rear upper brake lights, of which there are 3. Often times you go to another person when you think your going crazy, like I did. Both Auto zone guys couldn't figure the problem either. After feeling like I wasted money on the rear upper brake lights(which I did) I brought it home, and a nothing is like a systematic check of the vehicle's lighting system. Tedious and boring.

Since the problem also could have been caused by the dangling trailer wires, I started there. I used bulb cleaner and a plastic brush to clean off the points on that connection in back, then wiped them, and tested. No dice.

I moved on to the tail light as I already had replaced the top rear brake I knew they were good. I Pulled the right rear lights off, checked them applied that bulb cleaner to them tested all the bulbs. They were good, frustratedly moved on to the left side. As I pulled off the bulbs and listen carefully those who add after market Euro Lights to your Jeep. As the design reflects alot of light off, and in the dark it doesn't fully illuminate well. I was unable to see, in previous checks that the bulb had burned out. Yes I felt stupid.....

How to remedy this. Well, it's a bish to put all of it back togeather head over to napa, autozone or kragen to get a new one. So Heres how a bright guy dealt with this. Also this is really crucial to getting your man card back so listen up. Go to your, glove compartment No offense ladies..
(I can't believe we call them that who puts gloves there, reg, manuals, insurance... seriously)
There is a bulb that illuminates that compartment, bulb size (194), same as the marker light. Swap burned out bulb, for working 194 from glove compartment.
Now check... ah ha it works, no " rear lamp failure ", now, when you have time drive to the auto store when it's convenient, and get one for your glove compartment. (bulb size 194) There are other places on this vehicle you can get this bulb, but this is the easiest.
Genius.....
billybixby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
holdon

Always make sure when you replace bulbs in lights, to use the same wattage and brand bulbs. Most light "check" modules measure resistance to determine if a bulb is out. Sometimes different bulbs use different resistance and trick module into thinking the bulb is out ,when it is not.
holdon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2011, 02:12 PM   #11
Glued2aPost
1998 ZJ 

Same problem. Right rear running light is out, brake lights work fine. Stupid electrical nonsense...
Glued2aPost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2011, 09:32 AM   #12
GC08

How did you fix it?
GC08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2012, 04:38 AM   #13
Chinadoll13
1997 FSJ Cherokee 

Had the same issue...fixed it!
Chinadoll13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #14
straight-pipe
2007 JK Wrangler 

take your screwdriver and remove cover...remove the message board by removing more screws...remove board....unplug board...tape up connections .install board...buy a self adhesive clock from a store....enjoy your drive. fixed
Unread 01-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #15
jeepgirl1321
1997 ZJ 

mine did the same thing and i thought there was a mis communication, but then one of my brake lights went out like a week later...
jeepgirl1321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.