rear lamp failure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > rear lamp failure

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 09-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
dpjag

rear lamp failure

Ok i know this subject has been beat to death, but i am still having a problem with the notorious "Rear lamp failure" on the vic. I spend several hours reading forums and looking around, but cannot seem to find the issue.

It is one a 98 GC limited with 5.2L 158K on the clock.

What i have done was inspect all light bulbs in the rear and the upper ones. Made sure they had 922's in them and the small side ones had 194's and all working. I tried bypassing the LOM and it didn't do anything. I pulled the vic out and looked at it and could not find any broken solder joints.
WHile the vic was out i resoldered the one for the coolant sensor bad and now that is fixed. Can anyone tell me what pin is for the lamp failure? Of have a schematic of the pin out? I found one guy said it was pin 23, but there is only 20 pins? And i found another diagram which had more pins than mine....

Thanks,
Darrell

dpjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Pin #5

Fractured solder joints are not always easy to see, just reflow any that are suspect.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
dpjag

Ok thanks i will retry that pin.
Unread 09-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
melk
1996 ZJ 

Locate the LOM lamp outage module. Behind the spare tire / pop-off cover.

Disconnect the two plugs from the box.

Plug each end into each other.

Throw LOM off nearest cliff. Alternately, smash with your favorite BFH.

Enjoy sanity forevermore.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
dpjag

I tried disconnecting the LOM and plugging the two connectors directly together and it didn't work.
Unread 09-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
Jimh64
1995 ZJ 

I took out my VIC and unplugged the two connectors and put it back in,,problem solved! lol..

Just kidding, but mine was flashing and beeping some light out and it never seemed to work, so I just disconnected it. I have seen some topics where guys have put switches in its place. For now, I am just leaving mine in until I can figure out how to cover up the space.
Jimh64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
dpjag

Update... re melted the pins in the VIC and it still there!
Unread 09-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Bypass the LOM (connectors plugged together), then check for ground on VIC connector Pin#5 (BK/LB). If ground is good, problem is likely still in the VIC.

If the VIC Pin #5 ground is missing (open), then might have a broken wire between VIC connector Pin #5 (BK/LB) and LOM connector Pin#9 (LB/BK).
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.