Rear lamp failure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear lamp failure

NEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.comEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
Proph2010
1994 ZJ 

Rear lamp failure

Every time after ignition that I depress the brake pedal I get the rear lamp failure... All the bulbs are good. Any known fail points here guys. This is the only thing that I don't know what it is, can anyone identify this wire, it's packaging with the right(passenger side) tail light wire harness.

image-1529534615.jpg  
Proph2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
ilive4cars0122
1998 ZJ 

That is a tough picture to tell what that is. Are you positive all the bulbs are working sometimes one of the third brake light bulbs or front corner lamps/turn signals will trigger the message as well. Other than that the VIC could need to be re-soldered.
ilive4cars0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
Proph2010
1994 ZJ 

Yes I'm sure all the bulbs are good and working well; Vic works perfect with everything else but maybe that signal solder is loose or disconnected; I have half the dash out al ready ill check those connections too.

Front bulbs will trigger rear lamp failure?! That's seems stupid, there's not a front lamp failure alarm?
Unread 07-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

The bulbs all need to be the same #s in pairs.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
ilive4cars0122
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proph2010
Yes I'm sure all the bulbs are good and working well; Vic works perfect with everything else but maybe that signal solder is loose or disconnected; I have half the dash out al ready ill check those connections too.

Front bulbs will trigger rear lamp failure?! That's seems stupid, there's not a front lamp failure alarm?
Actually you know what I do think I was wrong about the front bulbs being able to cause the message. I was probably thinking about quick turn signal clicking means it's out. Anyways my VIC looked fine as well until I soldered it and the message went away.
ilive4cars0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
Proph2010
1994 ZJ 

I'll check the vic
Unread 07-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #7
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Where does that single wire go?

That white plasic gadget in your pic is an "inline tap splice" which is not stock. You have an extra wire spliced into your stock harness, likely into the Stop Lamp wire. The tap splice pierces the insulation without cutting either wire.

Wires are inserted, then the metal "E" shaped tang is compressed down to pierce the insulation and make the electrical connection. The plastic arm then clips over the top to cover/insulate the metal tang.

This type of splice does not work well for very long in an exposed environment. With the insulation pierced, the wire conductors are now exposed. Wires will corrode causing intermittent connections, then eventual broken wires.

Either you have an intermittent connection within the splice... or the extra unknown wire is causing the Lights Out Module to report a "Rear Lamp Failure" to the VIC.

The extra wire routes down and could have been an add on for trailer lights. Might be something similarly fishy on the drivers side.

Open the plastic splice clip, open the splice, push the metal tang back up, remove the splice, remove the extra wire, make sure your original wire is still intact... see if the VIC message still appears when you hit the brakes.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
Rog95zj
1995 ZJ 

I also get the rear lamp failure. I see ppl on here talk about soldering the VIC. How do you go about checking it and fixing it. Is there a Wright up on here and maybe your wire may have been some one trying to put tow wire in.
Rog95zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2012, 01:33 AM   #9
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...-fixed-175207/

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2012, 05:47 AM   #10
cody_love
1989 XJ Cherokee 

check your towing control box if you got the towing sit up from the factory its located in the emergency fuel door release i replaces mind and it fixed it
cody_love is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2012, 06:31 AM   #11
Proph2010
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreaZJ
Where does that single wire go?

That white plasic gadget in your pic is an "inline tap splice" which is not stock. You have an extra wire spliced into your stock harness, likely into the Stop Lamp wire. The tap splice pierces the insulation without cutting either wire.

Wires are inserted, then the metal "E" shaped tang is compressed down to pierce the insulation and make the electrical connection. The plastic arm then clips over the top to cover/insulate the metal tang.

This type of splice does not work well for very long in an exposed environment. With the insulation pierced, the wire conductors are now exposed. Wires will corrode causing intermittent connections, then eventual broken wires.

Either you have an intermittent connection within the splice... or the extra unknown wire is causing the Lights Out Module to report a "Rear Lamp Failure" to the VIC.

The extra wire routes down and could have been an add on for trailer lights. Might be something similarly fishy on the drivers side.

Open the plastic splice clip, open the splice, push the metal tang back up, remove the splice, remove the extra wire, make sure your original wire is still intact... see if the VIC message still appears when you hit the brakes.
Thank you, yeah I wondered if that was stock or not; I can't find the other end lol but it's just on the right(passenger side) that wire if it isn't stock will be my guess on the vic, because everything looks good on the back of the VIC.
Unread 07-21-2012, 06:39 AM   #12
MaintMech
Old, and in the way.

1996 ZJ 

And this'll help also:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...moval-1228233/

I fought Oracle and Oracle won!
MaintMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #13
Proph2010
1994 ZJ 

Found the other end of our splice, you were right, must of had a fault with the trailer brake light hook up so he tapped directly... Doesn't seem to be my VIC problem since its a direct connection or would you electrical gurus say the probably exactly the problem?
image-3554993720.jpg  
Unread 07-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
Proph2010
1994 ZJ 

Edit: it said the picture didn't post and I can't delete post from my phone.
image-3875695198.jpg  
Unread 07-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #15
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

That black box is your Lamp Outage Module. When a rear lamp problem is detected for at least 1/2 second, it sends a signal to Pin#23 on the VIC which triggers the Rear Lamp Failure message.

Try removing both connectors from the LOM, plug them together, see if message comes back. If it does, then you might have an open circuit in your VIC... perhaps a fractured solder joint as others suggested.

If the message goes away with the LOM bypassed, either the LOM is bad or there's an actual wiring/lamp problem. Try disconnecting your mystery wire.

Even if problem is repaired/stops, need to cycle the ignition key to clear the message.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.