Rear hatch stuck, key wrong turn - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear hatch stuck, key wrong turn

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
JeeperV8
1996 ZJ 

Rear hatch stuck, key wrong turn

I just bought a second zj after a drunk driver totaled my pride and joy. The problem is the rear hatch won't open and I can't get the key to turn in the lock either. Any suggestions?

JeeperV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #2
Newb1995jeepgc

Does that key unlock the passenger door? If not the thats the VALET key which only unlocks your drivers door and starts your Jeep.

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6- 133***
Newb1995jeepgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
davigzj
Have ZJ will Travel

1997 ZJ 

If you have elc locks n still can't open it. Could be the lever indoor just be patient as u push in on rear hatch easly pull up on handle keep trying hopfully it will open ..then take iner panel off 8screws? Adj the lever it pops off kinda. Pop back so it will pull latch mechanizum tighter..easy once u get it open mine did this ..all so put some WD40 in lock if its froze up..good luck..
davigzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
basegrinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newb1995jeepgc View Post
Does that key unlock the passenger door? If not the thats the VALET key which only unlocks your drivers door and starts your Jeep.
I have some spares I made that will open the passenger door AND reset the alarm, but they will not open the rear gate
basegrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 01:08 AM   #5
Bale
1998 ZJ 

Just fixed this on my ZJ, as "davigzj" explained. Note that when you take the inner panel off, two screws are easy to miss as they are reached only through small holes in the "furry" part of the panel.

With the panel off, in my case I only had to release a threaded rod from it's clip, and reposition it on the clip to take up the slack. Works fine now.

Guess it's impossible to get the panel off without ruining it if you can't open the hatch. In my case I could open the hatch when I used the key and pulled on the handle at the same time.

Last edited by Bale; 07-18-2011 at 01:34 AM..
Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
errorcode3
1998 ZJ 

There is no need to break the panel, just remove the top three screws (if you cant get the hatch open) from the inside. Sit down in the trunk/hatch with a flashlight once the three screws are removed just pull the top out as far as possible, and jam your hand in there. You may get cut up, but reach down as far as you can until you feel a thin metal rod. pull or push on it (i don't remember off hand which way) until the door opens. It really helps to have someone on the outside to pull on the hatch. Just have them be careful that plastic can be sharp, and that way the door doesn't fly up with your arm in it. But most likely your shocks are shot, so the door will probably just close on you.

then look at the latch mechanism, i just pulled it up more and put some jb weld on it to hold it in place/stop it from "stripping" back out again.
errorcode3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 08:46 AM   #7
Bale
1998 ZJ 

Won't you have to cut through the soundproofing sheet/foil as well? In my car it is glued to the metal, and I had to cut it to get to the mechanism.
Unread 07-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #8
errorcode3
1998 ZJ 

I just pulled the top of the plastic/foil open then stuck my hand in there, forgot about that step.
errorcode3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #9
JeeperV8
1996 ZJ 

Ok I got the hatch open last night, I played with the handle and pushed on the hatch until I heard a click then wallah open hatch. Thanks for all the help
JeeperV8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.