Rear hatch leaking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear hatch leaking

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 11-16-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Rear hatch leaking

My rear hatch has developed a leak of sorts, i have nice wet floors right under the high mount light, the seal/weatherstrip is fine and in tact. but today i looked in the rearview as i was backing up, and saw water coming from the access panel where you change the high mount bulbs. My question is: how can water get in there" is it possible for water to get in from the washer sprayer? its starting to get annoying. thanks in advance.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
CostcoPizza
Fresh Baked

1998 ZJ 

My hatch is leaking too, I haven't been able to find out where from. Thanks for the reminder I have to figure it out before it starts raining.
CostcoPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 10:51 PM   #3
SJZ
Victim of Hope & Change

1998 ZJ 

Location: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A shining city upon a hill
Make sure the area around the hatch hinges (on the weather side of the top gasket) is clear of any debris... especially leaves this time of year.
I found a bunch of crud up there, which was causing water to pool and leak inside.
'98 ZJ Laredo 5.2 Selec-Trac (249 to 242 swap)
'05 KJ Limited 3.7 Selec-Trac
'94 ZJ Limited 5.2 Q-Trac- sold, after 17 years
'67 International Harvester Scout 800; 345ci V8,T18 4spd, Dana 20 TC
'06 Chrysler 300C SRT8 6.1L
SJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Its been raining for the past 3 days and just quit. i noticed the water last week but didnt see the leak until now. after looking at it some more, i dont think the hole the sprayer nozzle fits in can allow water into the third brake light, if so i dont see how.

Unread 11-16-2010, 10:52 PM   #5
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJZ View Post
Make sure the area around the hatch hinges (on the weather side of the top gasket) is clear of any debris... especially leaves this time of year.
I found a bunch of crud up there, which was causing water to pool and leak inside.
thanks, i will check tomorrow.

Unread 11-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Freakin, my gasket looked fine except for one very tiny nick. water would get past it and run down the heater wires and drip into the rear. Replaced the gasket and ran a thin bead of silicone inside the groove on the new one. Leak never came back
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

heep, remember when you extended the bumpers on the hatch to kill the rattle? i wonder if that allowed for enough of a gap to allow water to pass....

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 10:04 PM   #8
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseOR View Post
heep, remember when you extended the bumpers on the hatch to kill the rattle? i wonder if that allowed for enough of a gap to allow water to pass....
good point. ill have to look into that in the daylight. I got a can of tracer paint and im gonna spray down my seal with it and hit it with the compressed air to see if its leaking anywhere. if that fails im going to pour water on isolated areas while my friend inside looks to see if it leaks.

Unread 11-17-2010, 11:16 PM   #9
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

i had a leak i couldn't track down, it would always pour in at car washes, but after changing the full gasket, it turned out to be those rubber boots that run the wires in, had popped off at the body side, you probably wouldn't notice it if you weren't looking
Unread 11-17-2010, 11:26 PM   #10
CostcoPizza
Fresh Baked

1998 ZJ 

A little off topic but can I disable my interior lights from turning on when my rear hatch is open w/o pulling the fuse?

I want to take the gf for a picnic Saturday but it's raining so I was thinking of taking her to a nice spot I know of in the desert and setting up an air mattress in the back and leaving the rear open. A nice dinner with some wine and some alone time would quickly be ruined by a dead battery
Unread 11-17-2010, 11:51 PM   #11
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
A little off topic but can I disable my interior lights from turning on when my rear hatch is open w/o pulling the fuse?

I want to take the gf for a picnic Saturday but it's raining so I was thinking of taking her to a nice spot I know of in the desert and setting up an air mattress in the back and leaving the rear open. A nice dinner with some wine and some alone time would quickly be ruined by a dead battery
you can override it by pushing on the light, one position is off, and one is on with an open door
Unread 11-18-2010, 12:03 AM   #12
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ5point2GCL View Post
you can override it by pushing on the light, one position is off, and one is on with an open door
what you been smokin lol? theres no switch door on off switch on my interior lights when i open my hatch all my lights come on, even the ones in the door panels.

oh and costco, ive tried that... well something similar to that, and even with the hatch open your gonna get wet feet the hatch keeps most of the rain out but it still drips in for about the first 8 inches of the cargo area.

Unread 11-18-2010, 12:08 AM   #13
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinheep89 View Post
what you been smokin lol? theres no switch door on off switch on my interior lights when i open my hatch all my lights come on, even the ones in the door panels.

oh and costco, ive tried that... well something similar to that, and even with the hatch open your gonna get wet feet the hatch keeps most of the rain out but it still drips in for about the first 8 inches of the cargo area.
no switch, unless someone has modified mine before i got mine, you can push the lens on the cargo area light, on or off, off it never comes on, on it comes on with an open door like you'd expect.
Give it a try, its really handy if your camping so you can leave the hatch open for hours on end without killing the battery
Unread 11-18-2010, 12:08 AM   #14
CostcoPizza
Fresh Baked

1998 ZJ 

Might just wait until I get an RTT then lol. I'll test it out Friday and see if mine does, never really really rains here anyway, more like a heavy drizzle.

Quote:
no switch, unless someone has modified mine before i got mine, you can push the lens on the cargo area light, on or off, off it never comes on, on it comes on with an open door like you'd expect.
Give it a try, its really handy if your camping so you can leave the hatch open for hours on end without killing the battery

Huh, I'll have to give that a shot tomorrow.
Unread 11-18-2010, 12:14 AM   #15
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
my cargo light does not push or do anything. and besides, all the other lights come on. at least mine do.

and yeah costco i dont know if youve ever tried, but tall people dont fit in the back of ZJs. im 6'2 and with my head touching the drivers seat, my feet are hanging out the hatch. although for what you're talking about you dont really have to be laying flat....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.