Rear Hatch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear Hatch

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-01-2007, 08:13 AM   #1
augnmike

Rear Hatch

My rear hatch is sticking or won't open now almost every time I try to use it. I tried searching the forum but the search function won't work. Is there a posted fix for the hatch problem?

augnmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2007, 09:06 AM   #2
ajmorell

In order to fix it, you will need to get it open so that you can remove the back panel. Sometimes applying some pressure above the latch helps. Once you remove the back panel, you will see a long screw looking arm that is connected to a latch. The part which holds that in place just probably needs to be adjusted. Sounds much more complex that it is. If you take it apart I am sure you will see what I am talking about.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
UUJ1
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by augnmike
My rear hatch is sticking or won't open now almost every time I try to use it. I tried searching the forum but the search function won't work. Is there a posted fix for the hatch problem?
What kind of vehicle do you drive and what year?... Yugo, Chevette, Festiva, Focus, Jeep...? It helps to know sometimes.
UUJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
augnmike

Sorry it's a '98 JGC. The hatch will open on about every fifth pull on it so I know I can get it to open.
Unread 06-01-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

Does it work better when you push on the hatch first (as if to close it) then pull the release handle? If so some cargo may be binding it or the stops (at the lower corners) may be adjusted too tight and binding it.
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2007, 02:04 PM   #6
madcabbie

Sounds like the problem I had...just needed to adjust the pull cables that attached to the handel...next time you get it open..pop off the panel and adjust them...

Everytime Someone calls a Jeep, an SUV, [SIZE="4"]GOD[/SIZE] Kills a kitten.
madcabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2007, 04:32 PM   #7
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

maybe the locking bracket that it locks too has shifted and needs adjusting. Mine was loose so I adjusted it and noticed that is was too tight and I had to push on the tailgate and pull the release lever to get it to open...so then I adjusted it again and all is well....
in case you don't know how to adjust...look under the rear bumper and you will find 2 nuts (no pun intended) and loosen them.
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2007, 05:34 PM   #8
augnmike

Yeah pushing on it doesn't seem to make a difference at all. Nothing inside pushing against it either. I am sure it's the adjustment that a couple of you have mentioned already. I was hoping for a better description of what I am gonna see inside when take the panel off. I am not mechanically inclined so that is why I am being so anal about a description of the rod and the adjustments I will need to make. If I tackle it I will try and take some pics for the next poor bast@&d that has to do this.
Unread 06-01-2007, 07:45 PM   #9
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

excuse us for trying to help...maybe a little more description would be better. There is thread on rear wipers not working...listen first ok...it will show you how the rear hatch comes off...reason why I say this is because there are 2 screws you do not see in the carpeted section on the rear hatch. I have been on here for awhile and have never seen anyone mention this particular problem you are experiencing...if so I do not recall it...but the best way I know how to get inside the hatch is through that write up someone did awhile ago. Sorry we weren't more helpful.
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

Unread 06-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #10
augnmike

Nash, not sure what you picked up in my last post but I was in no way upset or thinking that anything so far was lacking. I was trying to say that I was hoping for an in depth explanation because I am a knuckle head when it come to this stuff. I have always received great info on this site especially since I am new to this kind of thing. I was only saying that it is unfortunate that nobody has pics of the job but that's the way it goes. Again, sorry for the misunderstanding and thanks to all of you for the advice. If I do decide to try and fix it I will take some pics.
Unread 06-02-2007, 08:09 AM   #11
cyberbrain
2008 JK Wrangler 

I had a similar problem where the hatch locks itself. I had to break the interior plastic on the hatch to get to the lock mech. then I could slide the locking assembly over by hand.

2008 Wrangler Unlimited X. 4dr, 4x4, 3.8 V6, 3.73 D44 LSD.

93 Grand Cherokee Laredo. SOLD. Sad to see it go.
cyberbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2007, 08:14 AM   #12
gunthagunth
1997 ZJ 

Remove the interior plastic of the liftgate and then spray all the linkages and latches liberally with Wd40. Pull the latch a few times and spray it again. Test it out and after it works fine follow up with white lithium spray to keep everything lubricated. I never get around to using the lithium grease so I have to WD40 every 6 months. I get the exact same problem and it is caused by some light binding in the linkage, which puts stress on them and causing them to flex a bit. Which is just enough to keep the latch from popping. When people put pressure on the plastic around the latch they are helping keep the linkage straight and keep it tight as the linkage moves to release the latch.
97 ZJ 5.9L 242/4.5" RE Coils/1.75" Spacers/Clayton arms/Addco's/RE brake lines/35x12.5 bfg muds/Currie steering/K&N/Claytons Front Drop tracbar/Dropped pitman/Bilstein 5125's/JKS BPE/JKS loop conversion/JKS Sliders/ZJilla rear bumper/Clayton front winch bumper/durango steering box/warn 9000i/Hambek Customs carbon fiber cowl hood #2of16/Hp30-8.8 4.56/ARB f+r
gunthagunth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2007, 08:36 AM   #13
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by augnmike
Nash, not sure what you picked up in my last post but I was in no way upset or thinking that anything so far was lacking. I was trying to say that I was hoping for an in depth explanation because I am a knuckle head when it come to this stuff. I have always received great info on this site especially since I am new to this kind of thing. I was only saying that it is unfortunate that nobody has pics of the job but that's the way it goes. Again, sorry for the misunderstanding and thanks to all of you for the advice. If I do decide to try and fix it I will take some pics.
I did not interpret anything you said as negative...I was being more apologetic for not having the info you were looking for. I would still try loosening the nuts from under the rear bumper...that will loosen the bracket and maybe eliminate the sticking...and if it is the cable and such then I still recommend researching a thread on here about working on the rear wiper and you should find pics on how to remove the hatch cover pieces and also the 2 screws you do not see that are mounted inside the carpeted aresa.

Unread 06-02-2007, 09:08 AM   #14
augnmike

Good idea on the wiper suggestion there may be some pics for that which is the same place I need to get into anyway.
Unread 06-02-2007, 09:56 AM   #15
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

hope that helps you out...that is how I learned to take my back cover off or I would have broken it with those 2 hidden screws. Another idea is to spend a few dollars and get a Hayne's manual...great source of help...that and a Chilton's. I have both. I hear the best (spendy) is a FSM (Factory service manual).
Doug

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.