rear end whine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > rear end whine

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
rockin95zj
1995 ZJ 

rear end whine

Its been happening ever since my dad bought it 7 years ago. now its mine and I've been dealing with it for 2 years. tone changes with speed and is mostly while under torque. pinion has no play in it and the ring and pinion are in perfect condition. has full contact/alignment between the ring and pinion. freshly changed gear oil.

i can't figure it out....

dana 35c with 3.55:1, 4.0 with 42re and np231.

rockin95zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
davidwulf
1997 ZJ 

Rockin i have a similar problem with a rubbing grinding type sound in mine . Yesterday replaced wheel bearing, new pads and E brake shoes carrier bearing are good and pinion seems good , I am now going to check U joint . Hell what else could it be . Mine seems to start at 20 mph then gets louder.
Unread 04-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

I have the same problem at 208,xxx. But now with my aggressive tires I can't hear it anymore I put in Lucas 80w-90 gear oil and it seemed to quiet the noise some. I'm pretty sure they are the original axles/wheel bearings so I figure they are just getting old. My left rear wheel seal leaks also, probably part of the problem.

I would also pull the differential yoke to see if that seal is good as well. I've seen other posts on here about the seal to become grooved over time causing noise.

U-joints wouldn't cause a rotational hum/whine.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

If its been like that for 7 years then just drive it!
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
rockin95zj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
If its been like that for 7 years then just drive it!
thats what ive been doing... actually it doesn't bother much. its more of an audible speedometer . but when you don't have the radio on its pure hell... and the tread i got on is too quiet. I've been searching and I've seen people saying that its the pinion bearing and thats fine. carrier bearing, have yet to try and replace those. i just replaced the fluid and gasket so I'm not getting in there till another few thousand miles. ide probably get some diff protection f/r and change the front fluid too while I'm at it... the fun part is about noise in the rear end. theres about 15 things it could be. maybe ill just throw a ford 9 back there.
rockin95zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
differential , rear axle , rear clunk , whine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.