rear end or trans problem?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > rear end or trans problem??

Advance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
kobrien

rear end or trans problem??

I just bought a 1995 junker zj with 4.0 from a guy. With 230K miles. Known problems. Valve cover gasket needs to be replaced. Both pinion sells need replacing. And some cosmetic stuff. The one problem I can't figure out is.. when I go up a hill either the trans is slipping on something is going on in the rear end. Because it feels like something is slipping and catching and you'll feel a hesitation. Also when this happens the rpms will jump up 100-200 then fall back down. It also does it when hour crushing at about 55 and the rpms are around 1500-1750 but it won't do it if your going 60 or above. With that being said I am hearing a whine from the rear end. The faster I go the louder it gets and it seems like when I let off the pedal it goes away. Especially at highway speeds. Thanks for the help in advanced

kobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
jeep93zj
1993 ZJ 

I had the same noise in my zj and I replaced the rear ring and pinion gears and both pinion bearings, and the noise went away. But the slipping sounds like the tranny, but I'm not for sure someone with more experience with trannys well chime in soon.
jeep93zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

If you haven't done so yet, replace the tranny filter, gasket and fluid. Does wonders to high mileage ZJs.
Unread 02-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
kobrien

Yea I'll try that. How hard is it to change pinion seals?
Unread 02-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
kobrien

A little update. I Took the stock exhaust off and put on a glass pack. Well apparently what I thought was a tranny/rear end problem is turned out to be misfiring. Whenever I goto pass someone and it goes into passing gear. The rpms go from 3000-3500 and it starts ti misfire bad and the Jeep bucks and backfires. Any idea what if is? Its starting to drive me nuts. Because there is no codes being thrown
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobrien View Post
you have to tear apart the pumpkin. The last one I did was kinda a PITA

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
jeep93zj
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobrien View Post
It's not hard at all. You just need to watch now it comes apart. And you need to know now to redo the crush sleeve on it.
jeep93zj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.