Rear end swap ?'s - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear end swap ?'s

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 10-13-2006, 03:37 PM   #1
jeepman75
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Rear end swap ?'s

The rear end on my 01 v8 Limited QD w/100k miles is leaking fluid so I pulled the wheel and the bearing is worn. The dealership wants $150 an axle to replace the bearing, sleeve and seal. I found another D44 out of an 02 Limited with QD with only 37k on it at the salvage yard. I searched the specs and posts and didn't see anything different between the 2 years but wanted to make sure before doing the swap. Is this going to be as easy as I hope in just bolting the new one up?

Unread 10-13-2006, 03:40 PM   #2
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

AFAIK there are no differences between the D44a axles used in the different years of the WJ's. Should be plug and pray.
Unread 10-13-2006, 06:02 PM   #3
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

You are saying you are not paying for the axle in the junkyard? Up here they want $950 for one. Heck in Tucson a D35 was worth $500. I bet getting one out of the junkyard costs you more the fixing your current one. And that's bargaining that it's in perfect condition.

Also,I would fix the current one, Chrysler had a problem assembling the D44's and had many problems with bearings and such. I would take it to an axle shop for the work as well, instead of a dealer.
Unread 10-15-2006, 01:09 PM   #4
jmaley

Rear end swap

I agree with WOODY, here on the east coast a D35 from a salvage yard goes for $650, I'm still looking for a shop in my area (Philadelphia, Pa.) to do my pinion bearings, so far no luck.
jmaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2006, 10:08 PM   #5
jeepman75
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I ended up getting the salvage yard D44 with only 37k on it for $450 and glad I did. When I pulled the axle on my current one it had groved the axle housing pretty bad.

Also I think my bad bearing was caused by the previous owner. When I took the rotor off the whole e-brake assembly was missing and the dust sheild was bent up. Something happened and since it didn't have a spare something happened to that rim and I am guessing it was on the right rear when it got damaged.

I am going to pull the cover and drain all the fluid on the new one before putting under the WJ. Anything special with the Vari-lok rear end I should know?
Unread 10-15-2006, 11:19 PM   #6
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

If it's got a vari-lok, ensure you put friction modifier in it.

You got a steal. Wish I could find that kindof price up here.
Unread 10-16-2006, 07:33 AM   #7
sand zj
1996 ZJ 

Around here axles are stacked up like cord wood and available for a song and dance. I can't sing or dance so I ussually expect to pay $100 for a D35, $200 for a 8.8...

'96 ZJ 7" LA, 318, 231, 8.8 (welded), d30 (LockRight), 4.10's, 33x13.5x16 TSL's, no interior...
sand zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2006, 11:29 AM   #8
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

I can get a set of portals for $2000, but a D35 here is about $400, and last I checked an 8.8 was $700.

What sucks is I found a 82 Ford with a D44 front and a 9" rear for $500. Engine and tranny were shot, but wouldn't need them anyway. I would've jumped, however it would've cost me almost $300 to dispose of the body of the vehicle.
Unread 10-16-2006, 11:36 AM   #9
nierace
2003 WJ 

You're not a fan of lawn ornaments ?

450 Was a steal...
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2006, 11:50 AM   #10
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

I live on an Air Force Base, lawn ornaments get you demoted.

The projects are at the best friends house about three miles away. His wife doesn't mind us keeping a few rigs there, but we've gotten a little carried away. I think there's 10 rigs there now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.