Rear End Rumble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear End Rumble

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-19-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
barrowjeep

Rear End Rumble

Hi,
Just bought my first Grand Cherokee 1996 this week. After reading all the possible faults i decided to commit to buy, and guess what.

After picking the car up, we had done about 50 miles and noticed a rumbling from the rear end, the noise is the same noise at all speeds more or less, obviously a quicker rumble at faster speeds. When i go round a left hand bend at any speed the rumble disappears, straight or turning right, the rumble is there. When i got in the back with my wife driving, the sound seems to be coming from the left of centre on the back end.

The vehicle has been laid up for a few months, possibly because of this problem, it has just passed a yearly MOT here in the UK which involves testing the brakes on a rolling road, obviously the garage didn't pick up any problem.

Any help would be appreciated, i am hoping (wishing) it could just be a wheel bearing, or could it be the dreaded rear axle.

regards,

Graham

barrowjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
GreenDean
1995 ZJ 

Pull the rear diff cover off and take a look at the gears.
GreenDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2007, 06:11 PM   #3
bdwg

u-joint

check the one closest to the diff. that's the one that goes mine the fastest...
bdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
02_limited
2002 WJ 

Mine was making a "rrrr rrrr rrrr" noise. Luckily it was still under warranty and dealer replaced with new rear axle assembly kit. Then later on, I was hearing a squeaking/squealing noise in the rear. I thought it was brake/rotors but it was a bent right rear axle shaft. Replaced under warranty too.
Unread 02-20-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
barrowjeep

Thank's guys. I shall drop the diff case, after checking the fluid level. What should i be looking for in regards to the gears/bearings etc; ?????????
barrowjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.