rear end problems? maybe? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > rear end problems? maybe?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 08-15-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
redneckroxi
1996 ZJ 

rear end problems? maybe?

Hey about a month ago i took my zj out to trails all weekend after that i took it agian in sugar sand and its like my rear end froze up it started shakin real bad vibrating and loud clunking noise, then after a few trys with exseleration it went back to normal and made it out (in 2 wheel) so i decided to take the diff cover off n check my gears everything was awsome oil was clean no shavings or metal n e where and gears were perfect aswell as pin

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

well the i changed the diff oil and it didnt do it agian well now its a month later n i hit the trails n ran into some sugar sand n it did it agian.. so now back at square one my axles are good bearings good seals good u joints good all tight aswell so i moved rear driveshaft up n down in N and like norm had some play in shaft but wht i didnt like is where my boot is on my cv joint it seems to have too much play in my opioun also found a nice size leak in tranny lines so i replaced them as well..

[IMG][/IMG]

and other then that any other ideas or any one had this happen before? thank yall for your help
p.s sorry bout all the pics but i was once told if it happened to a jeep and theres no pics then it didnt happen at all

redneckroxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2011, 12:10 AM   #2
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

What transfer case are you running? What mode were you in?
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2011, 12:23 AM   #3
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

Well, I don't know about your " sugar sand", but I run a Bobcat at work, yeah it's a 4x4. At times, when I run into deep loose sand, it vibrates, usually indicating the tires are loosing traction. If you find nothing else wrong, you might want to look at your tires.
SAR-Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2011, 05:52 AM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

that's just hopping from the tires spinning.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
redneckroxi
1996 ZJ 

i know it not the hoping cause it was doin it on pavement to before i changed the diff oil when i went to take off from a complete stop it would hesitate to take off vibreating and then it was like a jerk and it took off.. and im takin the tires off today to get a better look aswell as the shafts one by one juss in case and see what i come up with .. and i was only in 2wd i noticed it dosent do it as hard when its in 4 high but its still there.. its sounds like and feels like i tearing up my gears but it aint that ... ill give yall an update with it after i get to it ..thank u for comments
Unread 08-16-2011, 08:37 AM   #6
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

any chance you have an LSD an the clutches are acting up or maybe the additive mixture isn't right?

i am familiar with sugar sand (hatteras) and it is very normal to have the vehicle feel like its "hopping" like your on a pogo stick when your going up a slight inclinie or even on flat terrain while in thin sand

or possibly tranny given you replaced the lines?did you eliminate the little check valve(its not bad if you did but someone will give specific name)
Unread 08-16-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
redneckroxi
1996 ZJ 

see its not really hoping though it feels more like tires arent spining like somthings stoping them from spining which is causein the vibration.. and wow call me stupid but i never thought to eliminate the check valve would you Recommend it? i also no used same gear oil as before n right w .. and had tranny rebuilt 6 months ago all new parts
Unread 08-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #8
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

i believe that check valve is a common failure when it sticks and causes the tranny to overheat. the only difference iv'e seen without it is that it takes a few seconds to engage when cold, especially when going straight to reverse after starting

any chance your chain is loose in the Tcase and hopping gears?
Unread 08-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
redneckroxi
1996 ZJ 

ok good deal on the valve im gonna eliminate that then and see if it helps.. it could be the chain but im not in 4wd when it does it .. it kinda softens the blow and takes presure off the rear end when i throw it in 4 high while its doin this..... but maybe thats juss another good idea for me to look at thank you
Unread 08-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #10
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

uhuh, so you have the 242 then? check your linkage to make sure your bushings are good and making it all the way into 2wd, you may just be popping in and out between gears. 242 has a lot of positions to make it through in not that far off a throw.
Unread 08-16-2011, 10:30 AM   #11
redneckroxi
1996 ZJ 

ok well ya know that makes sence cause it almost can pass as in 4wd on pavement ya know the jumping wise... im gonna look in to it thanks agian!

Tags
cv joint , drive shaft , rear end

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.