Rear-end Noise. PLEASE HELP!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear-end Noise. PLEASE HELP!!!

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 04-29-2003, 07:46 PM   #1
LouisC9999

Rear-end Noise. PLEASE HELP!!!

My 97 Grand Cherokee makes a dull, grinding sound whenever I make slow, tight turns. It makes the same sound whether turning right or left. It sounds like it's coming from the rear, outer wheel bearings.

I had them replaced about a month ago and the noise went away--for a while. Now, I hear the noise only after having driven for an hour or more. It's been significantly diminished but still there.

Also, I hear a somewhat loud whirring sound when the vehicle is moving.

When I reported this to the shop, they told me that, since the outer wheel bearings have been recently replaced, they'd have to look at the 'pumpkin'.

They said that they could diagnose the problem only by tearing it apart. That's 6 hours labor which I'd have to pay for if they don't find anything wrong? My extended warranty will pay if there's a problem with the 'pumpkin'.

Does anyone out there have any direct experience with this problem or can offer suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Any feedback will be APPRECIATED.

Unread 04-30-2003, 11:46 AM   #2
RufftyTuffty

Sounds like the main axle bearings....do you know if the rear axle is the Dana 44 aluminium version or the regular Dana 35 ?

If it's the 44 then this whirring sound will most likely be the main bearings...common problem...had mine done @ 45k.
Unread 05-01-2003, 06:26 PM   #3
JEEPTECHNICIAN

is it a v8 and does it do it when your turning into a parking space.
JEEPTECHNICIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2003, 07:40 AM   #4
ZJohnR

Do you have limited slip diff? If so, have you had your diff oil changed? Perhaos they forgot (or didn't think) to put the limited slip additive in with the oil...

Silly me changed my diff oil last weekend and forgot to put it in and can hear it start...I had an IROC that the grease monkey dudes didn't put the additive in and it felt like the whole rear was gonna fall apart (felt 'lumpy') when I turned corners
Unread 05-07-2003, 01:07 PM   #5
ILoveto4x4inNC

Mine was doing the same thing at about 50K, the dealer replaced all the bearings in it. Haven't heard anything in the last 20k. Gotta love that P.O.S. D44a.

'98 ZJ with 5.2L
Stock except for Optima red top
bigger tires(30x9.50 15 BFG MTs)
Rancho RS5000 shocks
swapped in NV231
and Pioneer CD deck.

White Jeep Club member #14
ILoveto4x4inNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.