Rear end grinding 98 laredo 5.2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear end grinding 98 laredo 5.2

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
shaynesaw

Rear end grinding 98 laredo 5.2

When i turn either way i get a bad grinding noise which appears to be coming from the back half of the vehicle. I figured it was the rear bearings or diff. So I changed the back wheel bearings and inspected the diff condition. Diff looks mint.
Grinding continues. Doesn't happen until the vehicle is warm. Any thoughts?
Any thoughts?

shaynesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
shaynesaw

Part store guy suggested synthetic gear oil and posi-track antislip additive.
Will try that
Unread 06-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Do you have a limited slip in the rear? If you don't then don't bother. The friction additive is for the clutches on the limited slip so if you don't have one it's useless. Gear oil isn't going to stop the grinding.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
shaynesaw

I have a dana 44. How do I tell?
Unread 06-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
shaynesaw

I put 80 90 gear oil in when i did the bearings and it seemed a bit worse.
Unread 06-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

It would have a metal tag on the diff that will say limited slip and another tag with the axle identification on it. Like 44a. Or you can request your build sheet from Chrysler via email. The oil weight will not cause a grinding noise. It's probably a carrier bearing or pinion bearing maybe. That is if you are sure that it's coming from the rear.

Why do you have two threads on the same topic?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.