Rear End Clunk...Differential Or Bushing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear End Clunk...Differential Or Bushing?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 05-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Rear End Clunk...Differential Or Bushing?

I've acquired a new clunk that I've been hunting down for almost a month now. It happens when I come to a complete stop and accelerate from a stop. It sounds metallic and is pretty loud. I've replaced the rear u-joints, rear sway bar bushings, rear sway bar links, lower control arm bushings, rear shocks and rear pads. I also greased the slip joint and changed the differential fluid.

The Jeep has 199,600 miles on it so I'm concerned that the noise may be the differential bearings or spider gears going bad. I know the "rear end clunk" threads are cliche but other than this problem my Jeep runs and drives excellent.

Basically I'm asking whether or not track bar bushings or upper control arm bushings would make that significant of a noise. Because those are the only things I haven't replaced. It's not super loud but I can feel it in the floorboards every time it happens.

JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
m0l0

I would recommend checking your transfer/transmission mount, if you say you feel it on the floor, bearings never clunk, they whine or zuumm kind of. and yes upper/lower ca bushings can clunk also.
m0l0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0l0 View Post
I would recommend checking your transfer/transmission mount, if you say you feel it on the floor, bearings never clunk, they whine or zuumm kind of. and yes upper/lower ca bushings can clunk also.
I forgot to mention I replaced my transmission mount. This clunk doesn't sound like a bad bushing though, it's pretty nasty. I was thinking more along the lines of backlash being off or play in the differential bearings.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

I would like to think its probably a suspension bushing or CA bolt loose. Most of the time a axle has enough play to clunk like that it will be even more evident when shifting rev to drive or p/n to a gear. I have heard slip yolks do this too.

I would recommend a couple other steps you could take to try to determine the noise but I would probably get flamed and it could be considered dangerous to some people. Having the ability to lift the Jeep off the ground might help you find the noise.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2011, 11:58 PM   #5
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

I would think either control arm bushings, or wheel bearings.

But since there is no whine, im leaning towards CA bushings. they can make an awful thud when stopping and accelerating.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.