Rear Drive Shaft leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear Drive Shaft leak

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-06-2006, 04:18 PM   #1
micifus
Original GC'er

1993 ZJ 

Rear Drive Shaft leak

The rear DS is leaking where it connects to the TC, just alittle not much.

How Bad is this?
How much to fix?
And should I bother

I6 with the AWD N 4-LO TC

and ummm..... what Trans Fluid should I use I say I was missing a bolt and the pan has leaked since I owned so tomarrow is tranny fluid replacement day

for a 93, Haynes says Mercon/Dextron III I assume they would not steer me wrong but I am just double checking

Ill be sure to take pics so you can point and laugh at the amount of metal chunks in my trans pan.

1970 Jeepster Commando 225 V6
32"x11.5" BFG A/T
4" Lift

"For every one thing I fix two things break"
micifus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2006, 04:57 PM   #2
goodolboy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by micifus
The rear DS is leaking where it connects to the TC, just alittle not much.

How Bad is this?
How much to fix?
And should I bother

I6 with the AWD N 4-LO TC

and ummm..... what Trans Fluid should I use I say I was missing a bolt and the pan has leaked since I owned so tomarrow is tranny fluid replacement day

for a 93, Haynes says Mercon/Dextron III I assume they would not steer me wrong but I am just double checking

Ill be sure to take pics so you can point and laugh at the amount of metal chunks in my trans pan.
first- the seal is an easy 5 min fix, grab one from the store, remove ds, pull old seal, use large socket to tap new one in...good to go

and DO NOT USE DEXTRON MERC in your TC, use ATF+3 or 4, i have a 42re and the dip stick says the same as yours but its worng.....unless of course you have a AW4 trans...in that case...i hate you
AW4= P-R-N-D-3-1/2
42re= P-R-N-D-2-1

74 CJ5- total restoration from ground up, 3 spd, 304 V8, 32's
goodolboy71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2006, 05:05 PM   #3
micifus
Original GC'er

1993 ZJ 

no its the 42re whats the big deal with the AW4? Even haynes says to merc/dex. I am sure its had that in there for a long time. Ill go with the dex only then, I think I may have even poured some of that heavy tranny fluid in there too try and stop it from leaking.

oh and is there a tranny filter?

1970 Jeepster Commando 225 V6
32"x11.5" BFG A/T
4" Lift

"For every one thing I fix two things break"
micifus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2006, 05:29 PM   #4
goodolboy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by micifus
no its the 42re whats the big deal with the AW4? Even haynes says to merc/dex. I am sure its had that in there for a long time. Ill go with the dex only then, I think I may have even poured some of that heavy tranny fluid in there too try and stop it from leaking.

oh and is there a tranny filter?
aw4= better than the crappy 42re.....i wouldnt use the merc....and yes there is a filter in the tranny

74 CJ5- total restoration from ground up, 3 spd, 304 V8, 32's
goodolboy71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.