Originally Posted by MyZJ98
Joe, how was doing the swap yourself? Ill be doing this same things Tuesday for the same reason lol just wondering what special tools you found yourself needing and any major obstacles or problem areas? Thanks
Hi & glad you asked this....
1. Make sure the replacement differential is the correct one with the right gears in it.
2. Make sure to order any parts you'll need to replace ahead of time so you'll have them like : ----> Brake Pads, Rotors, Shocks if needed and you should replace the rear swaybar links ends. Oh don't forget to check the Driveshaft U-Joints ( my back U-Joint was going bad so I replaced that while it was out )
3. You'll need a T55 & T50 & Metric Sockets 10,13,15,18 short and deep along with some box wrenches ( ABS sensors are 8mm but you can get away using a 5/16 - 6 point socket or combination wrench ) - Along with all other ratchets and breaker bars or get a cheater-bar to extend you ratchets ( Also a good pair of Vise-Grips ) make sure to use a good pair of jack stands under the body...
4. Get a good can of Penetrating spray ( coat/spray everything with AntiSeize when bolting everything back up for future repair/removal ) and spray everything a few times ahead time and use it while removing stubborn bolts ( I had one stubborn rusted bolt in the left lower arm that I got out eventually )
5. The hardest thing I had encountered was lining the Trackbar up.
I was in an accident within the past month and my left-side is still soar. I had nobody at home who could help me push the rear over to the right an inch or 2 so what I did was used a ratcheting tie down to pull over the rear towards the right to line up the right-side track arm bolt hole. ( You could also use a Come-a-long if you have one )
This is not a how to but things to consider most Important if you are not capable of doing the Swap pay someone to do it - It may end up just saving you some hardship in the long run...
I used AutoZone for parts as I found them to be the cheapest Parts store close by me. And I got what tools I needed that I didn't have from Harbor Freight ( 20+ years as a Ford Mechanic but sold off most of my tools - Stupid move but I needed the cash at the time
I hope this Helps