rear differential noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > rear differential noise

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-22-2002, 11:13 AM   #1
ptcpa

rear differential noise

Quick question regarding our newly purchased Jeep GC if I may. Having been a GM guy for my entire life, my wife and I recently decided to purchase a '96 4x4 GC 5.2 V8. What we have noticed during the past few weeks is that there appears to be a significant amount of 'noise' from the rear differential which sounds like 'metal-to-metal' contact. Is this a problem on the GC? I have changed the fluid (which was not low) and found no shavings. Any thoughts on how we might remedy if this is a common problem with the Jeeps? Thanks!

ptcpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2002, 10:10 AM   #2
warhawk

Are you sure the noise is coming from the rear
diff? I've got a 97 limited 5.2L and notice at
speeds between 60 and about 75 mph, I get a real
whine from the drivetrain(front end I think).
Trying to find out if this is a problem or just
the nature of the beast. As for your problem,
isn't there some kind of additive that you are
supposed to add to the diff. when changing fluid?
Cheers.
warhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2002, 12:14 PM   #3
Brian's 97 ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Is it a gnashing sound, like the ring and pinion are grinding one another?

Dai

For some reason, being a member of the CharGold Jeep Club just isn't as cool... Member #1
Brian's 97 ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2002, 11:38 PM   #4
ptcpa

Dai......it does sound like a "gnashing sound", kinda like the ring and pinion are too close to one another.

Warhawk.......did add an additive to the fluid and even used a 75/140 weight fluid (a little thicker fluid which is recommended for towing applications by Chrysler) and the 'gnashing' sound is still there.

This past weekend I had my wife drive and I crawled in back and it does appear to be coming from the back. Then put on jack stands and ran to be certain in wasn't rear tire noise, and it does appear to be rear differential noise.

Any other thoughts? Is there a TSB out from Chrysler on this by chance?
ptcpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.