Rear differential leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear differential leak

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 06-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
gobigorgohome32

Rear differential leak

Last edited by gobigorgohome32; 07-09-2011 at 07:17 PM..
gobigorgohome32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

very easy to fix. Just unbolt all bolts around the diff cover. clean up both mating surfaces on the cover and the housing. Then just apply some non-hardening silicon gasket maker to the cover. Then reinstall the diff cover and let the silicon cure for 15 mins. Then refill with the chrysler appropriate diff fluid. P.S. when you take the diff cover off and drain the fluid inspect for any metal filings in the fluid or housing. Your probably ok but depending how long it's been leaking you could have a bigger problem.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

I also suggest replacing the rubber differential cover plug. They harden over time and a new one will seal much better. Use no silicone RTV on this plug. Clean the hole and dry it and install the new plug.

Use the Permatex Ultra Grey gasket sealer for this job. It works very well and is what Chrysler issues as a "new gasket".
TallyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
gobigorgohome32

Last edited by gobigorgohome32; 07-09-2011 at 07:17 PM..
gobigorgohome32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
yzjwk
2005 WK 

when i did mine , it was easier to jack it and put it on stands to get it out ,but i lowered it to get all the old fluid out and finish the job.
one other thing to check is just make sure the leak is comming from the gasket itself before going through the work . I had the diff vent plug up on me causing oil to be pushed pass the rubber gromet and because my diff was alwys so dirty all the time from the mud & gravel roads , i thought my diff gasket was leaking .
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #6
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

It can be done while on the ground but you probably need to buy that little gear oil pump sold at parts stores. It is difficult to get the gear oil bottle tipped up high enough to actually get it all in the differential. A six inch piece of clear tubing pushed onto the tip of the gear oil tip helps.
TallyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
timmay5309
1998 ZJ 

Be sure to check and see if the oil may be leaking out of the pinion seal, where the drive shaft enters the rear diff. Mine looked like that from the back where I thought it was just the pan gasket, but it was dripping from the pinion seal down to the bottom when I looked at the front of the rear diff. I had a shop replace the seal cause I do not have an impact gun, and took them 45 minutes and was around $60 with the seal, oil and gasket included.
timmay5309 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.