Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

rear differential and front rotors

863 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Bigjake 
#1 ·
I have a 97 Jeep Grand Cherekee Larado 4.0 6 cyc 2wd. I had a 92 Jeep Cherekee before this one and have the same problem with both. How can I fix the rear diff. from making noise? It is starting to leak some fluid but this did not cause the noise. I had this noise with new and old Jeep and was told it was a common problem for Jeeps. How can I keep my front rotors from warping and causing all the vibration when I brake? Is there special brake pad or rotor I can buy?

Thanks for your Help

#2 ·
Here are some threads on the rotor warp problem. Aftermarket rotors and better pads help alot.
helpful thread
and another
and another

As far as the leak goes, is it coming from around the pinion seal or from the rear gasket?

#3 ·
Thanks for your response. The leak is from the seal where the drive axle enters the diff. How hard is it to change this seal and how to? The Jeep dealer told me that the noise from the rear end was a common problem. Is this not true? Can you make any ajustments to get rid of the noise? A friend of mine had the same problem with his Jeep plus my first Jeep had the same problem.

Thanks

#4 ·
Disclaimer:
I have not worked on the diff yet. I do have most of the parts to change my gears to 4.56 and install OX lockers. I have read a lot of articles but do not have any first hand knowledge yet so take my comments with a grain of salt.

You should be able to replace the rear pinion seal by removing the drive shaft and yoke and then pulling the seal and put in a new one. There is a crush sleeve that is used to set the pinion bearing preload. Some people say that you must replace this every time the pinion nut is removed. Make sure you pick one up when you get your new seal. Here is a site that has lots of information about differentials.
Ring and Pinion

Note: If I am wrong here several people will pipe in to let me know:)

#5 ·
Thanks for your links and help. I also learned how to use the search button which can answer a lot of questions. My 97' Jeep has been great. If they would fix the brakes and rear end it would be perfect. 120,000 miles and going strong.

BigJake

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.