Rear Diff? U Joint? Bearings? T-Case? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear Diff? U Joint? Bearings? T-Case?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
JoeZedJ
1996 ZJ 

Rear Diff? U Joint? Bearings? T-Case?

Well I did some searching but because my symptoms are really hard to explain (in google language) I am going to hit up the folks here.

This weekend I put my 96 ZJ (4.0 Laredo) in reverse to back out of a parking space and "thunk", it just came to a stop. I thought I actually hit something. Got out and checked nothing was back there. I put it in drive and pulled back into my space, no problem. Back to reverse no problem and drove it home (30 miles at highways speeds). This morning I was heading into work (cold out 28 degrees) back down my driveway (also I park on an incline and use my parking brake to relieve stress on tranny/tcase/drive shafts etc.) No worries there, put it into drive and it made some kind of weird metal-on-metal "sqeak/squeal". It definitely sounds like its coming from the rear end.

As I jump on the highway I begin to hear more noise (from the rear) a sort of hum or whirrr under stress (climbing up a hill at 60mph), then at times I would hear like a "chirp chirp chirp" then it would stop. Got to work and parked it and got a ride home.

No codes btw, my daily driver, no major wheeling or mods done. Bone stock.

So my initial thoughts:
  • Drive line u joint at the diff?
  • Would a u-joint stop me cold in reverse? Could they bind up that bad and still get me home?
  • Low or no diff fluid?
  • Bad wheel bearing?
  • Totally fudged up rear end...grr?
  • Eff'd up t-case or something more mid ship/tranny etc.?

Any idears? Education helps too! Thanks guys! If you are ever in Shelton, WA I got a cold one for 'ya.

Joe

1996 Jeep ZJ
Laredo 4.0 6cyl
OME 2.5" lift
ARB Bull bar/winch

'96 ZJ 4.0 Laredo
JoeZedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

id guess its the bearings in the differential. ive read that they can cause a howling noise when they go bad. as for stopping dead, if i had to take a wild guess, id say a tooth on one of the gears is chipped and stopped just right to get bound up. someone with more axle experience will chime in im sure
Unread 03-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
JoeZedJ
1996 ZJ 

Hey just wanted to let everyone knows its fixed!

Problem was my e-brake shoes. Yep, they delaminated and fell apart and were bouncing around the caliper. Fun times easy fix. Also my parking brake lever doesnt pull up as far anymore :-)

Cheers.

'96 ZJ 4.0 Laredo
JoeZedJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.