Rear Diff? U Joint? Bearings? T-Case? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear Diff? U Joint? Bearings? T-Case?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
JoeZedJ
1996 ZJ 

Rear Diff? U Joint? Bearings? T-Case?

Well I did some searching but because my symptoms are really hard to explain (in google language) I am going to hit up the folks here.

This weekend I put my 96 ZJ (4.0 Laredo) in reverse to back out of a parking space and "thunk", it just came to a stop. I thought I actually hit something. Got out and checked nothing was back there. I put it in drive and pulled back into my space, no problem. Back to reverse no problem and drove it home (30 miles at highways speeds). This morning I was heading into work (cold out 28 degrees) back down my driveway (also I park on an incline and use my parking brake to relieve stress on tranny/tcase/drive shafts etc.) No worries there, put it into drive and it made some kind of weird metal-on-metal "sqeak/squeal". It definitely sounds like its coming from the rear end.

As I jump on the highway I begin to hear more noise (from the rear) a sort of hum or whirrr under stress (climbing up a hill at 60mph), then at times I would hear like a "chirp chirp chirp" then it would stop. Got to work and parked it and got a ride home.

No codes btw, my daily driver, no major wheeling or mods done. Bone stock.

So my initial thoughts:
  • Drive line u joint at the diff?
  • Would a u-joint stop me cold in reverse? Could they bind up that bad and still get me home?
  • Low or no diff fluid?
  • Bad wheel bearing?
  • Totally fudged up rear end...grr?
  • Eff'd up t-case or something more mid ship/tranny etc.?

Any idears? Education helps too! Thanks guys! If you are ever in Shelton, WA I got a cold one for 'ya.

Joe

1996 Jeep ZJ
Laredo 4.0 6cyl
OME 2.5" lift
ARB Bull bar/winch

'96 ZJ 4.0 Laredo
JoeZedJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

id guess its the bearings in the differential. ive read that they can cause a howling noise when they go bad. as for stopping dead, if i had to take a wild guess, id say a tooth on one of the gears is chipped and stopped just right to get bound up. someone with more axle experience will chime in im sure
Unread 03-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
JoeZedJ
1996 ZJ 

Hey just wanted to let everyone knows its fixed!

Problem was my e-brake shoes. Yep, they delaminated and fell apart and were bouncing around the caliper. Fun times easy fix. Also my parking brake lever doesnt pull up as far anymore :-)

Cheers.

'96 ZJ 4.0 Laredo
JoeZedJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
rear axle , rear diff , transfer case , u joints , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.