REAR DIFF. HELP????!!!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > REAR DIFF. HELP????!!!!!!

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-12-2002, 07:39 PM   #1
Racer93ZJ4.0

REAR DIFF. HELP????!!!!!!

I went and got my oil change just a 1500 miles overdue and the people told me i have a rear diff leak!! I am thinkin i just need to replace gasket. Do u guys know of any other problems it might be?? I think i am gonna try to talk to the warranty people and get some new gears
thanx
ps i have stock gears 3.55s i think

Racer93ZJ4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2002, 03:09 AM   #2
horatio102
Web Wheeler

If you've got a '93 that is leaking, do not embarrass yourself by trying to get them to fix it under warranty. 9 years is longer than any new car or extended warranty I've ever seen on an American car.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2002, 08:10 AM   #3
2jeeps2many

My 97 did the same thing. I bought it used, and after the initial high of getting another Jeep wore off, I started to hear/feel a strange noise and vibration from the rear. Turned out to be a bad gasket - and yes - it had to be rebuilt. Mine was covered under an extended warranty though. Cost me 100 bucks total.

Since then, I check it on a regular basis and just noticed the little plug leaking as well. Two bucks later that problem was solved with no gear damage.

Next time your're driving behind another Grand, sneak-a-peak at their diff. - bet you'll see a shiny spot there as well.

Good luck.
Unread 02-13-2002, 02:19 PM   #4
Racer93ZJ4.0

Quote:
Originally posted by horatio102:
If you've got a '93 that is leaking, do not embarrass yourself by trying to get them to fix it under warranty. 9 years is longer than any new car or extended warranty I've ever seen on an American car.
Well i bought mine used over the summer and WE did get an extended warranty for 3 years or 115000 miles. The people i took it too said it would cost 50 bucks or so to repair it. But i went to autozone and found the gasket was around 4.00 bucks. So should i try to replace it myself or take it to a mechanic?? Does ther rear end leakin affect anything?? I dont hear any noises or anything? The rear diff liquid doesnt actually drip to the ground it kinda groups to the rear diff. so i dunno.
thanx
Racer93ZJ4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2002, 06:25 PM   #5
Beerman

Maybe it's the pinion seal.

Both of my jeeps had this leak.
Unread 02-14-2002, 08:53 AM   #6
2jeeps2many

If you're not hearing anything, there's a good chance you caught it in time. Ours got so noisy, we could hear it over ourselves talking.

I would imagine that changing the gasket should be somewhat easy. Check one of the available tech manuals that are available and that will give a good idea as to whether you can tackle the job or not. Since mine needed all new gears, I let the dealer do it.
Unread 02-14-2002, 12:10 PM   #7
ACZJ

What's leaking? If it's the cover all you need is some silicone gasket material. Pull the cover, clean the gasket surface, clean and inspect the gears, apply silicone, let it set according to instructions, put cover back on. It's not brain surgery.
Unread 02-15-2002, 05:03 AM   #8
turk

I had a 94 GC Laredo with a leaky gasket on the differential. Took about 45 minutes or so, but removed the diff cover after draining fluid, scraped off old gasket meterial, applied new gasket sealer replaced cover and wiped off excees sealer and I was done. The longest part of the process was removing old gasket meterial. I did also buy a new plug for the fill hole as well.

Good luck!

98 JGC Laredo 4.0, 3" lift, Rustys adjustable UCA's & LCA's, Custom K&N intake, high flow exhaust, Jet chip Stage 2 and 32x11.5 BFG TA's
turk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2002, 06:29 PM   #9
JeffsJGC

I just changed the fluid in my rear diff today, matter of fact I just got finished. I'm not sure what year yours is, but if you actually buy a gasket instead of just using silicone BEWARE!! I've got a 93 GC laredo with 10 bolt diff (3.55 I think)but the 10 bolt specific gasket was way WAY too big. It was about 1/2 an inch too big all the way around so my cover literally fit inside the gasket!! Make sure you check the size before you leave the store. Other than that the project was no problem.
Unread 02-25-2002, 07:30 PM   #10
kuzma97ZJ

Well look at wear it is comming from, if it is from the drive shaft end and running down to the bottom it is the pinion seal which could be hard if you don't have an impact gun. But the seal itself is cheap. If it is from the diff cover then this is easy too and these guys explained how to do fix this quite well.
1997 grand cherokee 4.0L, forest green, 3" skyjacker, 1" spacers, adj. front track bar, skyjacker sway bar dissconnects, procomp steering stabilizer, 31" super swamper LTB's, safari bar w/ 2 KC's, custom roof rack w/ 2 KC's, tow hooks front and back, CB, dynomax turbo muffler, custom K&N filter charger, 2 12" sony explode subs.
kuzma97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2002, 08:42 PM   #11
WharfRat123

Quote:
Originally posted by Beerman:
Maybe it's the pinion seal.

Both of my jeeps had this leak.
My dad's 5.9 just got this fixed by out stealer since I am tired of working on his ride for him (I don't get enough time for emine anymore...)

The pinion seal R&R was like 30-45 min. of labor and very inexpensive. The cover seal is just as easy, and even better and longer lasting if you do it yourself the right way.
Unread 03-02-2002, 05:41 AM   #12
jeepcherokeev6

this is the only input i have:
Quote:
after the initial high of getting another Jeep wore off...
i know the feeling

'86 XJ, 2.8 V6 5 spd, 3" lift

"It may be a piece of sh**, but its MY piece of sh**!" -Me
jeepcherokeev6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.