Rear clunking noise solved..finally - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear clunking noise solved..finally

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 03-28-2005, 01:32 PM   #1
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Rear clunking noise solved..finally

I finally found a loud clunking noise in the Jeep. It has been driving me crazy for three months. It turns out that it was one of the lower rear shock bolts. I had to break the bolt to get it off. Since it is a OD bolt I used a breaker bar and -drive sockets. Once off, I could see that the outer diameter of the bolt had worn down to a much smaller size. When I would hit a bump, the shock would travel in the slop first, before compressing and doing its normal job. This created a clunk clunk clunk. I cannot explain why the bolt wore so badly. The shock only partially rotates around this bolt by a couple of degrees. Maybe rust and dirt get in there?

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2005, 02:18 PM   #2
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

The stock bolts are 12mm tapered...don't ask me why they are tapered.

Had the same thing happen. Pressed some new 5/8" hourglass poly bushings in the shock hoops. Then pressed in some 1/2" ID bushing sleeves out of a Rancho install kit. Then finished up with 1/2" grade 8 bolts. Haven't heard anything from the rear suspension for years.

Link to bushings 9.8107
http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/sk_bsp1.html
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2005, 07:32 PM   #3
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

yea...real hillbilly setup on the stock set-up. I got them on good & tight with some of my own tricks. It aint going nowhere now.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
jdk3034

sorry to bring up an old thread, but can you replace the factory tapered lower rear shock bolts with a standard shank 10.9 12mm bolt?
jdk3034 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.