Rear Cargo Power Outlet - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear Cargo Power Outlet

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-02-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
SplitPoly
2003 WJ 

Rear Cargo Power Outlet

According to WJJeeps.com, most WJ's came from the factory with a rear power outlet or wiring for one.

My Jeep is the exception and didn't come with the outlet wiring.

I pulled back the panels today and saw that I had a wire for the taillights, but no outlet.

The pic on WJJeeps shows that the outlet wires come off of the taillight wires. Is there a way to splice into my current harness and make my own harness for the outlet?

Should I run a new wire from the front? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks for your help.

- Rick

Unread 04-03-2009, 12:34 AM   #2
NEVADAGARY
1998 ZJ 

Can't tap off the tailight wires cuz you'd only have power when the taillights are on and you'll just blow the fuses anyway. I'd run a power cable from the battery or a power tap through a 20-30amp fuse to the place where you want power. You can screw a ground wire to the metal just about anywhere even under a body panel screw.
NEVADAGARY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2009, 12:37 AM   #3
rustynail
1996 ZJ 

X2 on running a wire unless you only want it to be good for charging your ipod. You should be able to find sufficient power in your fuse box.
5.9 ORVIS 33x12.5 MTR-Kevlar, 7" fr adj IR LA's, 7" rr adj RE SF SA's, adj JKS TB's, RE SB disc, RE Springs, JKS ACOS, 13" RS9000XL's, OME SS, NP231, Durango box, IR Sliders, IR Skid, 3" Flowmaster 70, K&N, Superwinch EPi9.0, Optima Yel, 2 air comp, Alpine, Garmin, Sunroof
rustynail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

You're eventually going to want an amp for subs anyways, just run a decent gauge wire (4 gauge or lower) through a junction box from the battery. That way you also have a power connection if you ever need to run an inverter and the power is already run for said amplifier.

Yeah, here I am telling you this and I still need to do this myself. I've got a power wire running from the fuse panel for my amp, but no way to connect my inverter. I also have an extremely bad way of hooking into the fuse panel which is an abomination for an electronics technician like myself to have come up with. So much so that I won't even explain it here...
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
SplitPoly
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
You're eventually going to want an amp for subs anyways, just run a decent gauge wire (4 gauge or lower) through a junction box from the battery.
What's the best way to run this wire?

Are there already a few holes in the Fire Wall to allow me to run wires of this nature? How do all of the Civics get wires run? Are there "extra" spots on the internal fuse panel where I could plug my power wire in?

I've never run wires before...

- Rick
Unread 04-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

I currently have my power wire just run under the rear seats and into the door trim and up to the power seats fuse. But in all reality the best way to run it would be to put the wire through a rubber grommet in the floor and use those plastic wire holder clips (better known as P clips) and mount them with 1/4" or 3/8" self tapping screws. Run it all the way up to the fuse panel under the hood and tap into a relay socket that's not in use for your particular ZJ. On mine it's the DRL socket that's not used, but has power to the socket. Or you could just run the power lead all the way up to the battery after running it through a fuse block.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Unread 04-04-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
SplitPoly
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
Or you could just run the power lead all the way up to the battery after running it through a fuse block.
I found a fuse block. It came with 2 fuses... 30A and 80A. Which one would work for a 750watt Power Inverter?

- Rick
Unread 04-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #8
WiLieR
1999 WJ 

80 amp would be best of the two. 750 watts / 12 volts = 62.5 amps.
Unread 04-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #9
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

My educated friend above has it correct.

62.5 Amps + 10% for surge capacity = 68.7Amps. Which would be pushing a 70Amp fuse. And to allow for an extra small power outlet for charging a cell phone or running a laptop, the 80 amp would be ideal. But where you tap the power outlet into the power wire, I would run another distribution block and put a 10-15Amp fuse inline there as well.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Unread 04-12-2009, 11:56 PM   #10
SplitPoly
2003 WJ 

I decided to forgo the power outlet and am mounting a 750 watt power inverter in the back of the Jeep in the changer location.

I made use of the cd changer mounting holes and made my own mounting studs.

4 x 4" threaded rods @ 5/16 (cut from 3ft threaded section with hacksaw)
washers, nuts, and lock washers
1/2" or 13mm wrench

The cable is 4ga wire from a pair of jumper cables. I want to run a positive and negative connection to and from the battery. I could ground the unit on the frame, but I'd feel better if it had a direct connection to the battery. I ran it behind the front fender, through the front passenger door, and down the harness track all the way to the back. It's a perfect fit.

I wish the cable had a black side. I haven't connected anything to the battery yet, but I've already cut the spring clamps off and forgot to mark which was neg and pos.

Tomorrow, I'll use cardboard to mock up my platform. I've got a section of 2 x 10 that should do nicely. Hope to get everything put back together by tomorrow night.

I'll use my dremel tool to trim down the posts once I get everything where I want it.

- Rick
Unread 04-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #11
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Dremels are wonderful things, aren't they?
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Unread 04-14-2009, 02:13 AM   #12
mav383
2009 JK Wrangler 

works

this works great, just put an extra plug back there the other day it was right where you said to find it. Took 5 min to install. So now the question is what do i plug in back there?
Unread 04-14-2009, 06:34 PM   #13
thecool1
2004 WJ 

Air pump, spot light, blender?

You always miss those NorEasters, especially when you haven't had snow in years.
thecool1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 12:31 AM   #14
SplitPoly
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav383 View Post
put an extra plug back there the other day it was right where you said to find it.
You had the wiring harness for a plug? Lucky...

I cut my board and fit it into place. I've painted it flat black and am waiting for it to dry overnight. I'll hit it up with some paint in the morning and try to install everything on Wed night or Thur morning.

I'm hoping the trailer harness is there. I just installed a hitch and need to run my light wires...

- Rick
Unread 05-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #15
SplitPoly
2003 WJ 

I finished my inverter install.

First, I installed 5/16" posts into the changer mounting holes.

I ran a 4ga jumper cable from the battery to the rear of the vehicle. My fuse block is installed under the hood.

I cut a piece of 2 x 10 to fit the spot and mounted it onto the posts.

And... done.

I installed small L brackets on the 2 x 10 for the inverter to "sit" on.

It's easily removable and the smaller wires/clamps are the stock connections that came with the inverter.

Looking for my next project...

- Rick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.