Rear brake issue 96 ZJ pics inside - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear brake issue 96 ZJ pics inside

KrawlOff-Road.com now Carries Iron Rock Off Road!!!!!Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread Yesterday, 09:14 PM   #1
jswerve
2001 WJ 

Rear brake issue 96 ZJ pics inside

Pulled the wheels off of my 96 ZJ (4.0) and found this;

Guessing this is caused by the caliper nesting in those groves over a long period of time? Here's a photo of the pad wear;

Notice it is wearing uneven on the left closest pad and far right back pad.

Rotor;

1996 ZJ 4.0 Selec-trac
jswerve is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 09:18 PM   #2
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Fill the grooves with some weld, grind flat, install new pads. Really common issue with the ZJ brackets.
Unread Yesterday, 09:20 PM   #3
jswerve
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSplat View Post
Fill the grooves with some weld, grind flat, install new pads. Really common issue with the ZJ brackets.
Hey thanks for the quick reply. I am in my driveway lol. No welder available. I don't imagine these brackets come off too easy?

1996 ZJ 4.0 Selec-trac
Unread Yesterday, 09:45 PM   #4
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Add rotors to that.

Unread Yesterday, 09:50 PM   #5
jswerve
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm8881 View Post
Add rotors to that.

Haha yeah I was thinking the same. Now I need to get the dang things off. Not sure on these with the emergency brake and all.

1996 ZJ 4.0 Selec-trac
Unread Yesterday, 10:17 PM   #6
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

You should be able to get the rotors off. Spray around the hub/studs with a good rust cutter, screw the lug nuts on a little to protect the stud threads, then hit the face of the rotor between the lugs with a bfh!

If you don't know what the ebrake looks like inside here's a write up I did on fixing the seized cam/lever. If the shoes end up holding the rotor drum on some just follow the reverse procedure for tightening out the adjusters at the end of the thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/e...te-up-1605033/

Best to get those grooves filled with weld as was already mentioned first. Good luck.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 10:26 PM   #7
jswerve
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
You should be able to get the rotors off. Spray around the hub/studs with a good rust cutter, screw the lug nuts on a little to protect the stud threads, then hit the face of the rotor between the lugs with a bfh!

If you don't know what the ebrake looks like inside here's a write up I did on fixing the seized cam/lever. If the shoes end up holding the rotor drum on some just follow the reverse procedure for tightening out the adjusters at the end of the thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/e...te-up-1605033/

Best to get those grooves filled with weld as was already mentioned first. Good luck.
Awesome, thanks Uni!

1996 ZJ 4.0 Selec-trac
Unread Yesterday, 10:37 PM   #8
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswerve View Post
Awesome, thanks Uni!
Appreciate the thanks and glad it helps jswerve!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 05:19 AM   #9
marduksenforcer
1998 ZJ 

There's nothing Uni can't do! He has helped me more times than I can count, and his links are always informative and help save money and time.

He's a ZJ owners best friend.

-AJ
marduksenforcer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 08:22 AM   #10
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswerve View Post
Hey thanks for the quick reply. I am in my driveway lol. No welder available. I don't imagine these brackets come off too easy?
Not particularly hard (the bracket/backing plate assy is only held to the axle via 4 bolts) but you do have to disconnect and remove all of the parking brake hardware, which can be a pain. You'll likely be battling some rust on the bolts as well, a good penetrant soak is probably a good idea.

An alternative to having them welded is to buy new ones from Crown.

Also I totally missed the pics of the rotor - yeah, you're going to need new ones, that look pretty thrashed.
Unread Today, 08:33 AM   #11
jswerve
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Not particularly hard (the bracket/backing plate assy is only held to the axle via 4 bolts) but you do have to disconnect and remove all of the parking brake hardware, which can be a pain. You'll likely be battling some rust on the bolts as well, a good penetrant soak is probably a good idea.

An alternative to having them welded is to buy new ones from Crown.

Also I totally missed the pics of the rotor - yeah, you're going to need new ones, that look pretty thrashed.
Thanks for the tip. Those are pretty spendy. I am doing rotors and pads all around and I will take it out to a friends shop afterwards and see if he can weld and grind the OEM brackets.

1996 ZJ 4.0 Selec-trac
Unread Today, 08:36 AM   #12
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Aye, a buddy with a welder is definitely the easier and cheaper way to do it! Your front caliper brackets will probably need the same treatment while you're at it.
Unread Today, 08:38 AM   #13
jswerve
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Aye, a buddy with a welder is definitely the easier and cheaper way to do it! Your front caliper brackets will probably need the same treatment while you're at it.

Unfortunately, you are correct.

1996 ZJ 4.0 Selec-trac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.