rear axle seal leaking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > rear axle seal leaking

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 07-07-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
rubbersidedown
1999 WJ 

rear axle seal leaking

I have noticed "weness" on the drivers side rear axle tube. I assume this is a bad seal? If it is, should I replace the bearing while I have the axle out or only if it looks bad? For the cost of the bearing it seems it would be better to replace it as I think it needs to come off to replace the seal anyhow?

Also, I want to pick it up a couple of inches. Should I get new springs that are 2 inches longer or just a bb?

thanks for the help.

rubbersidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2008, 06:52 PM   #2
geoffhi

About your seal leak, did you read this thread?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/fluid-leaking-behind-d44a-brake-dust-shield-whats-wrong-558679/
Unread 07-07-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
Cebby
2000 WJ 

BB is the cheap way - I've been riding on one for the last 4 years. The ride is supposedly better with a pure spring lift, but I have never compared the two side by side.

I did my seals a while back - the bearings have to be pressed or cut off the shafts to get to the seals, so replacing them is pretty much required.

Here's my writeup:
http://www.jeepslimited.com/index.ph...d=22&Itemid=98
2000 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 Taupe Frost - Clayton LA Front/Rear | IRO 3" Springs + 3/4" KOR | Bilstein Shocks | JKS Discos/Trackbar/Draglink & Tierod | Dual KOR Stabs | Spidertrax Spacers | 265/70R17 Duratrac's on JK 17's | Black Magic Brakes w/Centric Rotors | Akebono Calipers | Griffin Rad | K&N Drop in | Magnaflow Cat & Muffler shorty setup | Diehard Platinum (Odyssey) | RB1-NAV-Sirius-Chg-iPod | OEM Tow Hooks F/R
Cebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
Redbob
2004 WJ 

Be sure to do the right thing; the press-on bearing retainer is all that keeps the axles in the housings...
Redbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.