Rear axle leak - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-30-2012, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
booked101
1997 ZJ 

Rear axle leak

There appears to be a leak between my driveside axle tube and the diff housing. It isn't dripping and it just wet looking. How do I fix this?

forumrunner_20120530_135906.jpg

good gas mileage is highly overrated.
(J)ust(E)mpty(E)very(P)ocket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-30-2012, 01:19 PM
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

Left axle tube seal where the axle goes into the diff, Google/YouTube it and there are lots of videos and or explinations

3.5 re lift, double sheer front tb, 31" wrangler duratecs
post #3 of 8 Old 05-30-2012, 03:13 PM
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Also check the fastener that the axle vent tube is attached to. It also holds a brakeline junction block in place. It is located on the driver's side axle tube on top near the diff. If it's loose it can cause a leak there on the tube.

5.9 ZJ SCT tuned PCM/ KJK CAI/ Thorley headers with 3" Magnaflow cat and muffler/ Modded kegger/ TransGo shift kit/ Vanco brake kit/ Braided steel brake lines/ Mopar cupholder insert!

post #4 of 8 Old 05-30-2012, 05:13 PM
gomes512
1994 ZJ 

The 35c's axle shaft seals are at the ends of the tube (furthest from pumpkin).

The tubes are held into the pumpkin by three rosette welds. Common problem with 35c's is the welds breaking and allowing the tubes to angle up. Not sure this is your problem without actually looking inside. Since the tubes are oil filled (shaft seals by tires) you'll see gear oil seepage occur if the welds have been broken by to much abuse.

I'd take it apart to see if your internals are still ok.

How much does it drip?
post #5 of 8 Old 05-30-2012, 06:36 PM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

if that is indeed coming from around the tube junction, you fix it by buying a new axle. because the only way for that to happen is a bent or spun tube.

'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 Old 05-30-2012, 07:11 PM
edpmedic
1995 ZJ 

Put a jack under the diff and has you jack it up have someone by the tube and see if they can see it pivot where it fits into the housing. You really don't need to lift the tires off the ground, so it is safe for someone to be under there. If it is lose you should see movement. And I agree with ratmonkey you need to change it

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...-leak-1309699/

This is a link to the problem I had with the vent that was mentioned above, but I don't think that is your problem. Also if the person under the vehicle puts their hand where it goes into the housing, they might feel movement. Sometimes that is easier then visualization. I'm sure you checked the pinion seal to make sure oil is not being blown to that area.

Never4get those who gave their lives on 09-11-01 WTC and Pentagon. FDNY-EMS-NYPD-PAPD. Also those who are still dying.
"Always aim at complete harmony of thought and word and deed. Always aim at purifying your thoughts and everything will be well."
Mahatma Gandhi
post #7 of 8 Old 05-30-2012, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
booked101
1997 ZJ 

It doesn't drip. I'm going to look in the diff this weekend so I'll check the tube to see if it bent or the welds are broken.

good gas mileage is highly overrated.
(J)ust(E)mpty(E)very(P)ocket
post #8 of 8 Old 06-12-2017, 12:06 PM
DstroyrOfWrldz
1999 TJ Wrangler 

what was the resolution here? I think I may have the same thing going on with the TJ I just bought, but on the passenger side. No other leaks severe enough to migrate there and someone in the past has tried to repair the "leak" with silicone.

I've got a buddy who's a pretty good welder; instead of disassembling and replacing the rosette welds, could we not square up the tube and weld around the outside of the tube to the housing? I'm not enthusiastic about rebuilding or buying an entire new axle.

Joe
1999 Wrangler Sahara
2005 Wrangler Unlimited (Sold 9/2012)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.