rear aussie locker + difference in tire tread = potential problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > rear aussie locker + difference in tire tread = potential problem?

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap Skid

Unread 10-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

rear aussie locker + difference in tire tread = potential problem?

^Not much more to it than that... I had to replace one of my tires due to sidewall damage a while back, so my rear tires have a noticeable difference in tread depth. I've been toying with the idea of finding a used aussie locker, but will an auto locker have any potential problems with the difference in tire tread?

the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
02COLOWJ
2002 WJ 

If i'm not mistaken their website says up to 3/8" diameter difference is ok.
02COLOWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
bjl95mustang
1998 ZJ 

They say 3/8" but I would not push it.

Can you move your front tires to the rear?

I'm guessing you have an open diff. Do some burn outs and wear down the tire. Just swap it to the side that spins.

4.5" Lift: RE 4.5" springs,Iro rear 3.5 springs+1" spacer, RE shocks, All adjustable arms, IRO front track bar and HD bracket, Rear jks track bar, 1-Ton Steering, 242 tc, 33x12.5x15 GoodYear wrangler silent tires, 15" rock crawler rims, Aussie Locker For My 44A, 760X u-joint front axles.

Soon to come Lock Right Front Locker.

Jeep Inferno member #10

Texas Jeep Club Member #78
bjl95mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2008, 06:09 AM   #4
nierace
2003 WJ 

Measure the tread depth and see if they're within 3/8" which is 12/32" of each other which is very lenient. Then put the least worn tire with your new one in back. Remeasure them every so often (maybe after 1k the first time) and see which corner wears the fastest and rotate as appropriate.
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.