Rear 12-volt power outlet - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear 12-volt power outlet

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 06-21-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
jeeplover93
1999 WJ 

Rear 12-volt power outlet

How can I get the power outlet in the cargo storage area in my Jeep to turn on and off with the ignition? I have my subwoofer plugged into it runs the battery down because it just stays on all the time.

jeeplover93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

One, the power outlet isn't meant to run anything over about 100W so your subwoofer amp might be straining the wiring on it.

Two, your subwoofer amp should turn off and shut down with the head unit.

Three, the power outlet should already be turned on and off with the ignition. Every one I have seen has been.

If the amp is running your battery down, there's something wrong with it.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
jeeplover93
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
One, the power outlet isn't meant to run anything over about 100W so your subwoofer amp might be straining the wiring on it.

Two, your subwoofer amp should turn off and shut down with the head unit.

Three, the power outlet should already be turned on and off with the ignition. Every one I have seen has been.

If the amp is running your battery down, there's something wrong with it.
Actually, the way I have this sub wired is strange. It's a subwoofer for a normal home theater system. I have it plugged into the poweroutlet through a 400W DC-AC inverter so I can't hook that up the headunits ignition cable.

From experience, I know that the power outlet isn't on an ignition. WJJeeps confirms it. http://www.wjjeeps.com/power_outlet.htm
Unread 06-21-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
subliminal
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Stop ghetto rigging a system and get a new sub. Problem solved.
Unread 06-21-2009, 10:23 PM   #5
jeeplover93
1999 WJ 

That's a waste of money I don't have... This works great! I just need it to turn off with my ignition.
Unread 06-21-2009, 10:48 PM   #6
pauler
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplover93 View Post
That's a waste of money I don't have... This works great! I just need it to turn off with my ignition.
You picked the one power outlet that's always on LOL ...

Well in short, you're outta luck ... you can rig a switch (simple on/off) to the power outlet and run that wire all the way to the front of your vehicle and mount the switch somewhere, and always remember to flick it off ... or if you get a cheap amp and subwoofer combo off craigslist, it'll have a remote turn on, that'll automatically turn the amp and subwoofer on and off ... if you get it off craigslist it shouldn't be too much
-Debadged, K&N CAI, Quad taillight mod, Yellowtop Optima, 3000 watt stereo setup, Kolak 3' Catback (flowmaster 70 with magnaflow tip and high flow magnaflow cat) with DMH electric cutout, Overland woodgrain wheel
pauler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2009, 11:07 PM   #7
jeeplover93
1999 WJ 

Yeah, I thought about both of those ideas... I think I will just put a little switch on the dash, next to the ignition.

If you do figure out a way to have it work on the ignition, let me know!

P.S. In the 99-04's, all the power outlets are on all the time. I can charge my phone up front, even when the car is off.
Unread 06-22-2009, 12:32 AM   #8
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Another way would be to run a tap wire off something you know switches with the ignition (cig lighter?) to a relay in the back. Have that wire activate the relay. Have the relay drive the power coming from the power outlet, through the switched contacts of the relay, then out to the inverter. Voile'. Inverter turns on and off with the ignition.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2009, 05:47 AM   #9
FDWJ
2004 WJ 

i would bypass the power outlet altogether, run some beefy wires out to the back from the battery, and switch it with a relay and switch on the dash or link it to an ignition circuit. then you could put a fused distribution block in the back and hardwire your inverter back there. that way you would not have to strain those tiny wires risking fire, and also have a power source ready if you decide to install anything else back there. save the power outlet for charging your phone. thats what i did.
Firefighter Jeep Club member #99
FDWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.