Real head scratcher - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Real head scratcher

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Un

Unread 02-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
NEVADAGARY
1998 ZJ 

Real head scratcher

Hi all,

I'm new here, my name is Gary and I'm ZIPGRAVER on Reno4X4.com. I have a 98 Grand Cherokee Limited and I have an unusual problem that I posted on Reno 4X4 but nobody could help me with. Maybe someone here had this happen to their GC and can give me a hand. The tailgate is stuck closed and it seems the handle won't operate the latch. Someone did say there is a chintzy plastic clip that holds the handle to the latch rod and it might be broken. I tried removing the trim panel but that can't be done with the tailgate in the closed position. Question...is there any way to get to the latch operating rob without destroying the the trim panels inside? The tailgate window operates electrically but I don't think the tailgate does.

I'd sure like to get the tailgate open.

Thanks

Gary D.

NEVADAGARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
SET2JET

do you have a buddy with a ZJ? so you can take off his and see how it works... that is what it did when mine did that i could see how it worked and measured his to mine and drilled an 1/8" hole so i could get a small screwdriver in there and pop open the latch and then repaired mine also with the hole being there if it happens again... well you know

also try to seach this is a common prob.
SET2JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
NEVADAGARY
1998 ZJ 

Duhhhh. I have one sitting in the street right here. Duuhhhh. Thanks! Brain clouds are serious sometimes.
Unread 02-25-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
Country Boy
Bovi-sapiens

2000 WJ 

Try pushing against the tailgate like if you were going to close it farther. Then try the latch. My 97 used to do that from time to time. You'll need to lubricate the latch, then adjust the mechanism. You'll have to remove the inside panel to get to the adjustment.

Farming is easy when your plow is a pencil and you are a thousand miles from the cornfield. -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Don't curse the farmer with your mouth full.

Ah, cows. A thousand roast beef sandwiches wrapped in a gorgeous leather coat.
Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
-cAcHe-
1996 ZJ 

see that threaded rod on the right?

that is what you have to pull to get the latch open... I KNOW I KNOW...your asking how???

you will have to cut on top where the carpet is on the inside of the tailgate..enough to get your arm in there and pull that rod...then it will pop open..then take off all the screws and weld or jb weld the rod to the mechanisim it is attached to..thats what i did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWK View Post
I like happy endings :2thumbsup:
RIP Troy Edwards (bigbluezj94)
-cAcHe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 10:21 PM   #6
NEVADAGARY
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Boy View Post
Try pushing against the tailgate like if you were going to close it farther. Then try the latch. My 97 used to do that from time to time. You'll need to lubricate the latch, then adjust the mechanism. You'll have to remove the inside panel to get to the adjustment.
Tried that a hundred times. No luck
Unread 02-25-2009, 10:22 PM   #7
NEVADAGARY
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cAcHe96 View Post

see that threaded rod on the right?

that is what you have to pull to get the latch open... I KNOW I KNOW...your asking how???

you will have to cut on top where the carpet is on the inside of the tailgate..enough to get your arm in there and pull that rod...then it will pop open..then take off all the screws and weld or jb weld the rod to the mechanisim it is attached to..thats what i did!
Awesome pic and instrutions. Thanks! I'll do it.
Unread 02-25-2009, 10:24 PM   #8
ddeadserious
1998 ZJ 

x2 on cache96.

Except you don't need to do any cutting necessarily. I was able to undo all the screws from the inside, get the flipper window open, and shove my arm(with a set of vice grips) down there, clamped on the rod, and pulled up really hard. Did'nt do any damage and haven't had any problems since I got it properly adjusted.

1998 White ZJ Laredo: 5.2/242 // d30/d44a // BB // MX6's // Black Steelies // 30x9.50x15 BFG A/T's // FM50 // JCR T-Case Skid // Leather and stuff
ddeadserious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 10:27 PM   #9
-cAcHe-
1996 ZJ 

no problem..just make sure you do a slit on top of that carpet..dont go cutting up the entire cover..hahahah...it is kinda hard to get through but take your time..

Quote:
Unread 02-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #10
NEVADAGARY
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeadserious View Post
x2 on cache96.

Except you don't need to do any cutting necessarily. I was able to undo all the screws from the inside, get the flipper window open, and shove my arm(with a set of vice grips) down there, clamped on the rod, and pulled up really hard. Did'nt do any damage and haven't had any problems since I got it properly adjusted.
Well I removed all the screws (4) that I could find and there is NO WAY I can get anything down between the trim panel and the door frame. Can't even see down there. Maybe yours is different?
Unread 02-26-2009, 03:17 PM   #11
NEVADAGARY
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cAcHe96 View Post
no problem..just make sure you do a slit on top of that carpet..dont go cutting up the entire cover..hahahah...it is kinda hard to get through but take your time..
Yep I see exactly what you're talking about. Thanks!
Unread 02-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #12
NEVADAGARY
1998 ZJ 

Glory be!!! I was looking at the tailgate this morning and I decided to give it one more try before I started cutting. So I pulled the handle and pushed in and UP at the same time an the thing popped open. Huh! The guy that owned it before me told me he had about 500 pounds of snow fall on it when it was open and it snapped the ball ends off both lift cylinders. Maybe that caused the tailgate to drop or ??? He said the tailgate fell on his head.teehee:

I have two cylinders to put on and I will remove the trim panels before I close it again to adjust the latch.
Unread 02-27-2009, 11:56 AM   #13
-cAcHe-
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVADAGARY View Post
Glory be!!! I was looking at the tailgate this morning and I decided to give it one more try before I started cutting. So I pulled the handle and pushed in and UP at the same time an the thing popped open. Huh! The guy that owned it before me told me he had about 500 pounds of snow fall on it when it was open and it snapped the ball ends off both lift cylinders. Maybe that caused the tailgate to drop or ??? He said the tailgate fell on his head.teehee:

I have two cylinders to put on and I will remove the trim panels before I close it again to adjust the latch.

NICE!! lol..i had the latch fall on my head..hurt like hell...replace those and check the adjuster and everything should be fine.

Quote:
Unread 02-27-2009, 11:56 AM   #14
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

I'd use an entire big can of WD40 on the latch assembly.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #15
Shinobi
2001 WJ 

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WAZZZZZUP !!! its ur friendly neighbor shinobi
Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.