JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Real head scratcher (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/real-head-scratcher-703877/)

NEVADAGARY 02-25-2009 06:32 PM

Real head scratcher

Hi all,

I'm new here, my name is Gary and I'm ZIPGRAVER on Reno4X4.com. I have a 98 Grand Cherokee Limited and I have an unusual problem that I posted on Reno 4X4 but nobody could help me with. Maybe someone here had this happen to their GC and can give me a hand. The tailgate is stuck closed and it seems the handle won't operate the latch. Someone did say there is a chintzy plastic clip that holds the handle to the latch rod and it might be broken. I tried removing the trim panel but that can't be done with the tailgate in the closed position. Question...is there any way to get to the latch operating rob without destroying the the trim panels inside? The tailgate window operates electrically but I don't think the tailgate does.

I'd sure like to get the tailgate open.:(

Thanks

Gary D.

SET2JET 02-25-2009 06:39 PM

do you have a buddy with a ZJ? so you can take off his and see how it works... that is what it did when mine did that i could see how it worked and measured his to mine and drilled an 1/8" hole so i could get a small screwdriver in there and pop open the latch and then repaired mine also with the hole being there if it happens again... well you know

also try to seach this is a common prob.

NEVADAGARY 02-25-2009 07:07 PM

Duhhhh. :rolleyes: I have one sitting in the street right here. Duuhhhh. Thanks! Brain clouds are serious sometimes.

Country Boy 02-25-2009 07:26 PM

Try pushing against the tailgate like if you were going to close it farther. Then try the latch. My 97 used to do that from time to time. You'll need to lubricate the latch, then adjust the mechanism. You'll have to remove the inside panel to get to the adjustment.

-cAcHe- 02-25-2009 07:31 PM

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3.../rearlatch.jpg

see that threaded rod on the right?

that is what you have to pull to get the latch open... I KNOW I KNOW...your asking how???

you will have to cut on top where the carpet is on the inside of the tailgate..enough to get your arm in there and pull that rod...then it will pop open..then take off all the screws and weld or jb weld the rod to the mechanisim it is attached to..thats what i did! :D

NEVADAGARY 02-25-2009 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Country Boy (Post 6666091)
Try pushing against the tailgate like if you were going to close it farther. Then try the latch. My 97 used to do that from time to time. You'll need to lubricate the latch, then adjust the mechanism. You'll have to remove the inside panel to get to the adjustment.

Tried that a hundred times. No luck

NEVADAGARY 02-25-2009 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cAcHe96 (Post 6666118)
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3.../rearlatch.jpg

see that threaded rod on the right?

that is what you have to pull to get the latch open... I KNOW I KNOW...your asking how???

you will have to cut on top where the carpet is on the inside of the tailgate..enough to get your arm in there and pull that rod...then it will pop open..then take off all the screws and weld or jb weld the rod to the mechanisim it is attached to..thats what i did! :D

Awesome pic and instrutions. Thanks! I'll do it.

ddeadserious 02-25-2009 10:24 PM

x2 on cache96.

Except you don't need to do any cutting necessarily. I was able to undo all the screws from the inside, get the flipper window open, and shove my arm(with a set of vice grips) down there, clamped on the rod, and pulled up really hard. Did'nt do any damage and haven't had any problems since I got it properly adjusted.

-cAcHe- 02-25-2009 10:27 PM

no problem..just make sure you do a slit on top of that carpet..dont go cutting up the entire cover..hahahah...it is kinda hard to get through but take your time..

NEVADAGARY 02-26-2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddeadserious (Post 6667533)
x2 on cache96.

Except you don't need to do any cutting necessarily. I was able to undo all the screws from the inside, get the flipper window open, and shove my arm(with a set of vice grips) down there, clamped on the rod, and pulled up really hard. Did'nt do any damage and haven't had any problems since I got it properly adjusted.

Well I removed all the screws (4) that I could find and there is NO WAY I can get anything down between the trim panel and the door frame. Can't even see down there. Maybe yours is different?:confused:

NEVADAGARY 02-26-2009 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cAcHe96 (Post 6667547)
no problem..just make sure you do a slit on top of that carpet..dont go cutting up the entire cover..hahahah...it is kinda hard to get through but take your time..

Yep I see exactly what you're talking about. Thanks!

NEVADAGARY 02-27-2009 11:54 AM

Glory be!!! I was looking at the tailgate this morning and I decided to give it one more try before I started cutting. So I pulled the handle and pushed in and UP at the same time an the thing popped open. Huh! The guy that owned it before me told me he had about 500 pounds of snow fall on it when it was open and it snapped the ball ends off both lift cylinders. Maybe that caused the tailgate to drop or ??? He said the tailgate fell on his head.:eek:teehee:

I have two cylinders to put on and I will remove the trim panels before I close it again to adjust the latch.:thumbsup:

-cAcHe- 02-27-2009 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEVADAGARY (Post 6678979)
Glory be!!! I was looking at the tailgate this morning and I decided to give it one more try before I started cutting. So I pulled the handle and pushed in and UP at the same time an the thing popped open. Huh! The guy that owned it before me told me he had about 500 pounds of snow fall on it when it was open and it snapped the ball ends off both lift cylinders. Maybe that caused the tailgate to drop or ??? He said the tailgate fell on his head.:eek:teehee:

I have two cylinders to put on and I will remove the trim panels before I close it again to adjust the latch.:thumbsup:

NICE!! lol..i had the latch fall on my head..hurt like hell...replace those and check the adjuster and everything should be fine. :cheers2:

HighLonesome 02-27-2009 11:56 AM

I'd use an entire big can of WD40 on the latch assembly. :D

Shinobi 02-27-2009 03:50 PM

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WAZZZZZUP !!! its ur friendly neighbor shinobi :D

The time now is 08:30 AM.