Read the Dirty Dozen" still? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Read the Dirty Dozen" still?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
rlynnhanes
1996 ZJ 

Read the Dirty Dozen" still?

97 ZJ. Okay guys, read the dirty dozen but my problem happens so infrequently that I can't seam to make it quit while I'm trying to work on it. Usually after about 50-80 miles of highway driving she'll start acting up. Will lose power and then die. Will start right up and go another 50-8o miles. Can run around town a never have a problem. It's getting worse as the weather gets warmer. The CEL will come on, but always on the highway. I've had the problem for awhile and has always been fixed with a new fuel filter (truck sat awhile). Put a new one on right before I filled it up and it stopped the next morning on the highway after about 70 miles. Had it in the shop for two days and the mechanic says he can't find anything wrong. HELP!! Can't get a code.

rlynnhanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynnhanes View Post
97 ZJ. Okay guys, read the dirty dozen but my problem happens so infrequently that I can't seam to make it quit while I'm trying to work on it. Usually after about 50-80 miles of highway driving she'll start acting up. Will lose power and then die. Will start right up and go another 50-8o miles. Can run around town a never have a problem. It's getting worse as the weather gets warmer. The CEL will come on, but always on the highway. I've had the problem for awhile and has always been fixed with a new fuel filter (truck sat awhile). Put a new one on right before I filled it up and it stopped the next morning on the highway after about 70 miles. Had it in the shop for two days and the mechanic says he can't find anything wrong. HELP!! Can't get a code.
What do you mean by "acting up" jerking, rev's up or down? electrical malfunctions?

Build thread Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
I learned to tuck my stick....
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Yeh, washing it inside and out is on my to-do, eventually, maybe, if I have time, OOOH angle grinder.

RIP Ratmonkey-5/27/13. You will be missed.
tucsonzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
rlynnhanes
1996 ZJ 

Loses power then stops running. can turn the key off then and it will immediately start up and run. Sometime for 5-10 miles, sometime 50-80 miles with no problem. It will even start back while still rolling down the highway if I turn the key off then immediately back on. I don't have to crank it over, it will pick u[ and run.
Unread 04-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

either the pcm pins, o2 sensor, or a ckps going out.
could also be tps or map sensor as second tier issues that sometimes pop up.

i'd get something that can active scan it while you're driving. if you have a smartphone like the majority of the population you can buy a bluetooth obd2 adapter(elm chip) and the torque app in the play store or apple app store.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
rlynnhanes
1996 ZJ 

New symptom. Now have bad surge under rapid acceleration. Does that help with diagnosis? Oh, by the way, thanks for the help.
Unread 04-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
rlynnhanes
1996 ZJ 

what's a ckps?
Unread 04-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
rlynnhanes
1996 ZJ 

crank position sensor? Just replaced.
Unread 04-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynnhanes View Post
crank position sensor? Just replaced.
brand? mopar only for these vehicles.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
rlynnhanes
1996 ZJ 

Still having the same problem. Changed the O2 (upside) Changed the crank position sensor. Had the cat converter and downside O2 checked. Cleaned the pins on the PCM. Checked for vacuum leaks. Couple of new things I've noticed: Smells like when you change the oil. I'm older and remember what carbs were like and I could swear it's a vapor lock. I know that's no longer an issue, just saying. The couple of mechanics that have looked at it can't diagnose the problem. Finally got it it to code and got PO171. HELP
Unread 04-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #10
gs69350

1996 XJ Cherokee 

EDITED...
When i read first post, the first thing that popped in my head was failing fuel pump. That is still what I think it is.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited Platinum; 2" BB, 225/75/16 Wrangler MT/R --GONE--
http://www.facebook.com/groups/59limited/ <-- 5.9 Owner's group on FB.
gs69350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
qxotic
1998 ZJ 

It reminds me of when I was in the service.. my boss had restored a chevy from the 60's and was have similar troubles. His problem turned out to be a lot of crud in the gas tank.. it would eventually block the screen and choke the gas off.. after sitting enough would fall off the screen (since it wasn't being sucked into it still) and it would run a while again. Not sure how he figured out that was the problem, but he removed the tank and cleaned it and was fine after that.

No idea if that information will help.. but wanted to share the possibility since that is what it reminded me of.

Good luck!
qxotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 06:38 AM   #12
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Has anyone checked the fuel pressure? The lean code can be caused by a lot of things, including a weak fuel pump. Given that it sat up for a while and the instance of improvement when you changed the fuel filter, the fuel pump would be my first suspect.

This could also be the PCM. If the CEL is on and the problem occurs, what happens to the CEL? If it goes away, the PCM is resetting.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
rlynnhanes
1996 ZJ 

Finally got it fixed. New fuel pump helped but no fix. New ECM was the ticket. In the words of the immortal Seve Ballesteros " I miss, I miss, I miss, I make" Thanks for your help.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.