Re-purposed ZJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Re-purposed ZJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
Jeremybradford

Re-purposed ZJ

Hey guys. Been a member of this forum for a little while now but never really posted much. Finally have reason to. I've owned my 96 ZJ 4.0 for about 8 years now. Bought it with 150,000 miles on it and has 240,000 on it now. It's the best vehicle I've ever owned, hands down. I just recently stopped using it as my daily driver. I'm planning on doing a 2"BB on it and using it to pull my 58 CJ to the trails and go camping with it. It will see mild off roading. I appear to have u-joints on the front drive shaft. Short of the 2" pucks and shocks, are there any other upgrades you would recommend before I start taking it off road? I'm not planning on getting very aggressive with it. She's still my baby.

Jeremybradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Adjustable track bar, aux cooler on the trans if you don't already for towing. For towing I would do higher rate coils rather than a BB.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
Jeremybradford

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Adjustable track bar, aux cooler on the trans if you don't already for towing. For towing I would do higher rate coils rather than a BB.
I should have mentioned, but I'll be mostly flat towing. True, cooler would be a good idea.
Unread 04-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

Not really an upgrade, but towpoints front and rear, if you don't already have them, because even mild off-roading, can have an "Oh Crap" moment.
SAR-Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
Jeremybradford

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR-Swimmer View Post
Not really an upgrade, but towpoints front and rear, if you don't already have them, because even mild off-roading, can have an "Oh Crap" moment.
Yeah, I've considered that. Do people add those without upgrading bumpers? If so, where's a good spot?
Unread 04-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Get the kor radiator support for tow points in the front, much stronger than the factory hooks and uses real d rings. http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/cart/ra...rcoated-p-285/

A graded bolt or receiver shackle for the rear is sufficient.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 04-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
Jeremybradford

Quote:
Get the kor radiator support for tow points in the front, much stronger than the factory hooks and uses real d rings. http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/cart/ra...rcoated-p-285/

Huh, yeah. That looks pretty sweet. Thanks!
Unread 04-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremybradford View Post
Hey guys. Been a member of this forum for a little while now but never really posted much. Finally have reason to. I've owned my 96 ZJ 4.0 for about 8 years now. Bought it with 150,000 miles on it and has 240,000 on it now. It's the best vehicle I've ever owned, hands down. I just recently stopped using it as my daily driver. I'm planning on doing a 2"BB on it and using it to pull my 58 CJ to the trails and go camping with it. It will see mild off roading. I appear to have u-joints on the front drive shaft. Short of the 2" pucks and shocks, are there any other upgrades you would recommend before I start taking it off road? I'm not planning on getting very aggressive with it. She's still my baby.
I wouldnt tow much more than a motorcycle trailer with a 4.0 ZJ. Even flatland. You are under braked and underpowered to pull another truck behind ya. If you wanna do it, Id look into getting a Dana44 in the rear, stiffer springs, Addco sway bars, maybe gear it deeper, WJ brake swap up front. At that point though, youve just dumped a lot of money into a tow vehicle that still wont be all that great...

^build thread^
riot1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #9
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Yeh swap in a d44a from a tow package 96+ V8, that will give you lsd in the rear and a better axle.

I dunno what all the fuss is about these being incapable of towing. I know they aren't ideal compared to a real truck, but they can't be as bad as everyone says. I've towed a trailer a bunch with mine and I haven't had a problem with braking or power, V8 though.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 04-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #10
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

If you rolled a rock down an infinitely long hill, It would stop before that zj would going uphill pulling said trailer. Puny single piston calipers just dont have the stopping power (in my opinion) to pull a trailer with another vehicle on it.

I burnt my 42re up simply driving it. I dunno how long it would last pulling all that weight.

^build thread^
Unread 04-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #11
Jeremybradford

Wow, the inability to flat tow my CJ never crossed my mind. Doesn't the ZJ 4.0 have a towing capacity of 5000 lbs? My itty bitty CJ5 only weighs 2200 lbs. I pulled it on a trailer with my 07 Dodge Nitro with no problems at all. Basically the same towing capacity. So I guess stopping power is the issue? Any brake upgrades? Or just axle swaps?
Unread 04-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #12
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremybradford View Post
Wow, the inability to flat tow my CJ never crossed my mind. Doesn't the ZJ 4.0 have a towing capacity of 5000 lbs? My itty bitty CJ5 only weighs 2200 lbs. I pulled it on a trailer with my 07 Dodge Nitro with no problems at all. Basically the same towing capacity. So I guess stopping power is the issue? Any brake upgrades? Or just axle swaps?
You could do it with that jeep. But I personally dont trust the braking power of these particular jeeps. Ive been on a steep slope with wet brakes in low gear and i could not lock em up to save my life. The power simply isnt there.

Search wj brake swap. Its not too difficult, but it requires a welder, and a little cash for new parts. a d44 is a direct swap.

^build thread^
Unread 04-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #13
spidermonkey
1998 ZJ 

Quote:

Or use just a 2" tow strap and your receiver pin in back, KOR is very good but watch so the shackle doesn't take out the radiator, I used a large nut on the shackle pin as a spacer to prevent contact.

My driveway build here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/spidermonkeys-98-zj-build-716209/
speedo reading x spd gear tooth count/gps speed = new spd gear for dead on accuracy
North Shore Wheelers www.nsw4x4.com
spidermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #14
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Rated capacity and usable capacity are different things. It will tow it. It won't be fun on long distances with a short wheel base, and the trans have a bad habit of giving up when thrashed. Mine blew at a stoplight under 100k in. And the V8 has a slightly beefier trans than the 4.0.

Personally I would just keep beating on it till it pukes.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.