(Re)Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > (Re)Build Thread

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #1
LinBaba

(Re)Build Thread

As a longtime lurker I thought I'd post this here, this is the first time I have ever done body work, I have rebuilt an engine on a dump truck, restored a 72' Mercedes (rebuilt from the tank forward) but have never dealt with anything like this.

On July 7 at 10 PM a drunk driver totaled my Jeep in front of my house (hit and run) I didn't get any side pics but I didn't think the Jeep would ever drive again, it was pushed maybe 15' feet, there was noting but a hole where the driver side rear used to be, the gas tank was inaccessable (smashed closed) and the driver side doors were smashed together (crimped) unable to open or close properly, (they overlapped), the following is the diary of the next few days

2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   6.jpg   7.jpg  

8.jpg  
LinBaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
LinBaba

The first thing I did was back up to a tree and spend a few days tugging on the rear end with a come-along and beating on it with a mallet and go down and start scouring the local pick and pulls for new brake lights, a new hatchback, a new rear bumper, and a new plastic bumper cover, and the fiberglass plastic levelor piece, about $200 total maybe 5 hours in all to find and remove the pieces, and another 5 hours to remove and attach the new pieces, I had to switch to a different hatchback so I used a write up on here and reversed it to go to a rear door that that didn't have glass that opened
5.jpg   9.jpg   10.jpg   11.jpg   12.jpg  

13.jpg   15.jpg  
Unread 07-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
LinBaba

Then I figured, what the hell, I'll try some Bondo, how hard can it be right?

Bondo is a ***** lol, the next bit took me like 3 days as I had no idea what I was doing, I spent days painting, sanding, painting, sanding, I didn't put the final coat bondo stuff on, probably added 2 days to the process, also if I did it again I would have beat the sheet metal down a little further
17.jpg   19.jpg   20.jpg   21.jpg   23.jpg  

Unread 07-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
LinBaba

Next was find the color code (i used this forum again) and go get some paint mixed up, the code came back with 5 different versions of the same color depending on what year, make and model, and where it was manufactured, so I had to take the paint chips to try and match my color, I think I got close but there was one closer, anyhow, the final product is here, total cost maybe 400 dollars, not too bad for a hillbilly repair

I did find the people that hit my Jeep, they of course reported their truck stolen so I am jumping through hoops to try and get $$$ from them, if I do it goes for a lift kit, maintenance, etc

It took me a total of 8 days, I have no idea how many hours, a -lot-, there were a few 20 hour days in there
30.jpg   31.jpg   34.jpg   35.jpg   36.jpg  

37.jpg   40.jpg   43.jpg   41.jpg  
Unread 07-23-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
melk
1996 ZJ 

Wow, truly a labor of love!

Make sure to do something custom while you are at it....
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
DeejayZeejay
1994 ZJ 

Holy s**t! Nice job. Want to come do some body work on my jeeps : ) Hows it drive now?
Unread 07-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
LinBaba

Thanks Guys

It drives great, seems it hit alongside the frame, the frame seems unaffected although the unibody got a bit borked pulling on it straightened it out as far as the doors go
Unread 07-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
bteixeira02
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Holy crap man! I give you mad props for this!! I have nowhere near enough patience to even attempt that if it were to happen to mine! Looking good!
bteixeira02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
LinBaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by bteixeira02 View Post
Holy crap man! I give you mad props for this!! I have nowhere near enough patience to even attempt that if it were to happen to mine! Looking good!
I actually didn't mean to get so carried away lol, first it was just put a new tail light on and tug on it so I could open the doors, then I was like what the hell, might as well buy a new back door and bumper (since I had seen quite a few Jeeps at the Pick and Pull), then I was like, aw hell, might as well try bondoing this little corner (having NO idea the can of worms I was opening with that) then, well.....might as well see if I can match the paint....

8 days of Terrets syndrome coupled with mad obsessive compulsive disorder and it was all done lol
Unread 07-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
bteixeira02
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinBaba View Post
I actually didn't mean to get so carried away lol, first it was just put a new tail light on and tug on it so I could open the doors, then I was like what the hell, might as well buy a new back door and bumper (since I had seen quite a few Jeeps at the Pick and Pull), then I was like, aw hell, might as well try bondoing this little corner (having NO idea the can of worms I was opening with that) then, well.....might as well see if I can match the paint....

8 days of Terrets syndrome coupled with mad obsessive compulsive disorder and it was all done lol
so how many 12 packs you burn doing it all LOL
bteixeira02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
booked101
1997 ZJ 

is your jeep purple, grey, off white, silver, what? seems a different color in all the pics. nice job though.
Unread 07-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #12
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Nothing to say but impressive. It looks near stock. That's some intense patience and dedication. Kudos to you.

It looks silver in every picture to me.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #13
tizzly
1994 ZJ 

wow. great job. i hope i never have to attempt that tho
tizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #14
timmay5309
1998 ZJ 

Great job! Another ZJ saved from the junkyard. Good luck on getting something out of the people that hit your Jeep. It is a big start actually finding the person. I also have been through the hit and run, luckily the drunk drivers front plate was lying by the front tire, and they didn't pull the "truck was stolen" routine, so insurance took care of it...
timmay5309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 06:29 AM   #15
SECorBust
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I totally would have sawsalled a new rear quarter panel to go in there. Most of the seams could be hidden in the door jams. I would have tried that even if I had to rivet it back together before attempting to bondo that. You did a great job reshaping that car though. Try that if the body filler doesn't hold up.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.