The raw milk zj build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > The raw milk zj build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #61
ian_red-zj
1998 ZJ 

Got my steering box installed. Don't have any pics right now, but the Durango box looks the same as the stock one except the circular end opposite the steering shaft is a little bigger which is supposed to give me more steering power. The install wasn't too bad, but one thing I'm bummed about is my steering wheel still has a lot of play. I guess I should try tightening the new box, but I didn't have time today to get everything perfect. I'll check it out tomorrow. I think there's a side by side comparison photo of a Durango vs ZJ steering box, I'll probably post that up.

ian_red-zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #62
ian_red-zj
1998 ZJ 

This is a Durango box on the left and an xj box on the right. I guess the xj is the same as the zj, or the v8 zj has the same size steering box as the Durango? I already packed up my old box to send it back for the core charge, and I don't feel like taking it out... I was in a hurry today so I didn't even compare the old and new boxes. Oh well, this is apparently an "upgrade" from the zj box and people seem to like it so I'll see how it works out.
2chmkhh.jpg

Unread 03-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #63
ian_red-zj
1998 ZJ 

So next thing I'm doing is getting a cold air intake, front LCA mounts and axle tube seals, and I want to put some tubing along the a pillar so I don't crack the windshield on a tree again. Like the below has, and I might buy that hood also (not the fenders though, they're pretty ugly). I also need rock sliders and want to buy the IRO cat back exhaust system. Some Bushwacker flares would be pretty sweet. I have a ways to go, but I just got my job back so hopefully I will be able to do at least some of it and maybe finish my build by the end of this summer. Still need a rear bumper... going to try to sell dirt bike... There's more but I'll see what funds allow.
dsc00095-medium.jpg  
Unread 03-14-2014, 08:10 PM   #64
ian_red-zj
1998 ZJ 

I'm picking up a new to me hood at the junkyard tomorrow (mine's dented) as well as some other things. This place has a lot of zj's, so I should have lots of colors to choose from. I was thinking about getting a black hood and painting the two raised panels the same color red as my jeep with a red jeep emblem. And maybe some louvers if I can find some. If I had paint skills I'd get a white hood and do an American flag design, but that ain't gonna happen! Anybody seen any cool hood designs that aren't too flashy or trashy, but classy? My zj is red and I just have very basic painting capabilities... Would like to do something that's unique but not obnoxious.
Unread 03-14-2014, 08:16 PM   #65
ian_red-zj
1998 ZJ 

And not related to the hood, I was gonna try to find an alternator. Anything that would bolt into my 5.2 as a power upgrade? I know the 5.9 has a higher ampage alternator that bolts in but I doubt they will have any 5.9's.
Unread 03-16-2014, 08:44 PM   #66
ian_red-zj
1998 ZJ 

It's a jeep thing... Only you guys would understand!
jeep-thang...jpg

Unread 03-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #67
Timer96
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_red-zj View Post
And not related to the hood, I was gonna try to find an alternator. Anything that would bolt into my 5.2 as a power upgrade? I know the 5.9 has a higher ampage alternator that bolts in but I doubt they will have any 5.9's.
I've seen threads about the Durango 160 amp working
Timer96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2014, 02:58 PM   #68
ian_red-zj
1998 ZJ 

Got a new battery under the hood of my beast. When they tested my system everything checked out good, including the alternator. My occasional engine squealing might be the water pump I suppose... Replacing the belt and tensioner didn't fix it, then I thought alternator, now I guess I'll try the water pump bearing......
Unread 03-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #69
ian_red-zj
1998 ZJ 

Them custom plates tho!!
image-2412983267.jpg

Unread 03-26-2014, 04:02 PM   #70
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Ian,what part of va are you in?
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2014, 06:52 PM   #71
ian_red-zj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusterdude
Ian,what part of va are you in?
Fairfax county (northern VA)
Unread 04-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #72
ian_red-zj
1998 ZJ 

I'm pretty stoked on my new wheels! Got 'em off Craigslist for only $850 practically new! I needed them, but now I have to sell my old ones which I hope won't be too difficult. I changed the oil in the Jeep yesterday and installed a Gatorback belt... no more squeak! hopefully for good! I have outer axle tube seals that I need to install, and I want to change the inner seals while I'm at it. Still need to get those LCA mounts, then I should be good for the wheeling trip to the Cove this month!
Unread 04-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #73
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Im in hopewell
Unread 04-08-2014, 05:37 PM   #74
ian_red-zj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusterdude
Im in hopewell
Ah, you're pretty far down there.
Unread 04-09-2014, 04:11 PM   #75
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Oh yea,you're about 2 hours or so up the road

Tags
build lift mud tires , build thread , led light bar , lift and tire combination , winch bumper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.