The raw milk zj build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > The raw milk zj build

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 02-21-2014, 10:03 PM   #46
ian_red-zj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Maybe the treads got messed up. Next time you are at the parts store grab a pack of them and try to put a new one in. Otherwise it's just a dirt collector hole.
I was able to get another grease zerk today and got it put in there. So how important is it to actually grease that joint up? Will it get messed up/wear out if I don't grease it or is it mostly for more suspension travel offroad?

ian_red-zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 06:29 PM   #47
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

grease it. it keeps em quiet and makes em last

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2014, 02:34 PM   #48
ian_red-zj
1998 ZJ 

Hey so I'm installing the u-joints into my new axle shafts and I don't know how to put in these full circle clips. I saw something on another site where the guy put them on before installing the u-joint into the yoke. Do I have to press it back out now or can I just stretch it over? All I got is regular and needle nose pliers, none of those special retaining clip ones.
image-574110162.jpg

Unread 02-25-2014, 05:13 PM   #49
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Called snap ring pliers, I advise getting a good pair as they come in handy. They make tons of different sized ones as well.
Unread 02-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #50
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopez View Post
Called snap ring pliers, I advise getting a good pair as they come in handy. They make tons of different sized ones as well.
I 2nd this

Build thread^^
Unread 02-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #51
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopez View Post
3rd it. You can get a cheap china pos for $5 at most places, it might be good enough for those snap rings. A good high quality pair is a good investment though

sent from, uh

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2014, 06:37 PM   #52
ian_red-zj
1998 ZJ 

Ok long story, but I'm new to u-joints and such, and I destroyed one of the washers that holds the cap. What is this called and where can I find it? It's an Alloy USA x-joint; I'm not sure if it's a universal part, but I assumed it would be since it's just a washer. Advance Auto didn't have it though. I'd appreciate it if you guys could steer me in the right direction.
joint.jpg

Unread 02-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #53
ian_red-zj
1998 ZJ 

Nevermind about the washer. Alloy USA was kind enough to send me a replacement. I think it was called the thrust washer... Well at least I can replace the passenger side in the meantime which is the side that's broken. Lesson learned!
Edit: Alloy USA sent me a brand new u-joint shipped to my door free of charge! All I needed was the washer, but now I have a spare u-joint that would probably be capable of functioning if I needed it to. Some high quality customer service!
Unread 03-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #54
ian_red-zj
1998 ZJ 

All right, I got the axles installed and threw in some new brake pads in the front and greased up the slide pins in the calipers. I had to press the caliper piston with a c-clamp in order to get the brakes back on, which I'm pretty sure is normal. I went for a little test drive and the abs light was on and braking power felt very weak. I pumped the brakes a few times but it was still the same. Any ideas? I try to post my questions here now rather than making a thread or struggling to find another thread that addresses the same issue.
Unread 03-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #55
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

Kinda an obvious one but, when you clamped your caliper, did you overflow your reservoir and are you now low on fluid perhaps?

Build thread^^
Unread 03-05-2014, 01:28 AM   #56
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Seams odd it'd feel week, maybe try bleeding the brakes just in case. I don't see how you could have damaged the caliper unless it was already getting bad

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #57
ian_red-zj
1998 ZJ 

I think I'm good on fluid, I just topped it off recently. It felt better today, but as soon as I hit the brakes the abs light comes on. Is the abs light just the general code for anything wrong with the brake system?
Unread 03-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #58
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_red-zj
I think I'm good on fluid, I just topped it off recently. It felt better today, but as soon as I hit the brakes the abs light comes on. Is the abs light just the general code for anything wrong with the brake system?
ABS light comes on due to an issues with ABS, you'll still have regular braking power.
Unread 03-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #59
WVZJ
1998 ZJ 

Your new shafts probably don't have tone rings. Hence the ABS light
07 Ram 2500 5.9 ctd
WVZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #60
ian_red-zj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZJ View Post
Your new shafts probably don't have tone rings. Hence the ABS light
You're absolutely right, that was the problem.

Tags
build lift mud tires , build thread , led light bar , lift and tire combination , winch bumper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.