The raw milk zj build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > The raw milk zj build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 12-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #16
ian_red-zj
1998 ZJ 

Last edited by ian_red-zj; 12-31-2013 at 06:45 PM..
ian_red-zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 03:50 AM   #17
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_red-zj View Post

Nah I only broke one but I thought it'd be good to switch them out. It happened shortly after I put the locker in, with only one off road trip, so I would assume the cv's aren't that durable with the smaller moving parts.
Okay cool man, yeah I popped one already as well just on my 31s. I've got spare shafts in my garage though.

So that trim, man that looks ghetto. Hahah your still cleaning up the edges and such right?

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 05:20 AM   #18
ZJfamilyfun
1998 ZJ 

How did you fit 31's w/stock suspension? Was there rubbing? Everything that i have read said it wont work.
ZJfamilyfun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 06:08 AM   #19
BLarkin
1997 ZJ 

Not to thread hijack, but I've seen alot of people on here say the same thing. I ran 31s for awhile with no lift and only had minimal rubbing at full lock on the sway bar (I think, it's been awhile). The trick is, use stock wheels. Wheels with a different offset, or wider than 7" will not work (from my personal experience).
BLarkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #20
ian_red-zj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myusername1674

Okay cool man, yeah I popped one already as well just on my 31s. I've got spare shafts in my garage though.

So that trim, man that looks ghetto. Hahah your still cleaning up the edges and such right?
If you're talking about the rear, you're probably seeing the foam stuff that was inside when I cut the fenders open. I agree it looks ghetto and I bought a welder today to close the gap back up. I need to install a 240 volt outlet so I can use it though. Not quite sure of how difficult that's gonna be.
Unread 01-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #21
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Easy peasy
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #22
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
If you're talking about the rear, you're probably seeing the foam stuff that was inside when I cut the fenders open. I agree it looks ghetto and I bought a welder today to close the gap back up. I need to install a 240 volt outlet so I can use it though. Not quite sure of how difficult that's gonna be.
Well idk maybe it's just me, you just took a different line on the cut than most people do. Still a good lookin' jeep man! I'm diggin that black n yellow rear bumper

Unread 01-10-2014, 09:16 PM   #23
ian_red-zj
1998 ZJ 

So I got my welder set up and I'm looking to weld my rear fenders up this weekend. I have some 16ga sheet metal that I want to use to fill in the gap where I trimmed through the pinch weld in the fenders. I want it to be sealed shut, so I was just going to spot weld the sheet metal on then fill it with some kind of sealant rather than welding a whole bead across the fenders and running the risk of warping the metal. Could I just use rtv silicone like the kind used on differentials? Or is there something better out there for this application? Thanks to anyone who can help out
Unread 01-10-2014, 09:53 PM   #24
DrGrand
2003 WJ 

Good to see more teens building up jeeps! Nice rig
Unread 01-11-2014, 12:12 AM   #25
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
So I got my welder set up and I'm looking to weld my rear fenders up this weekend. I have some 16ga sheet metal that I want to use to fill in the gap where I trimmed through the pinch weld in the fenders. I want it to be sealed shut, so I was just going to spot weld the sheet metal on then fill it with some kind of sealant rather than welding a whole bead across the fenders and running the risk of warping the metal. Could I just use rtv silicone like the kind used on differentials? Or is there something better out there for this application? Thanks to anyone who can help out
Thanks for the comment on my build ian! I don't personally have any welding knowledge to lend any help, though I'm actually looking to go pick one up next week when I get paid.

Have you read Riots build thread on here? He did a trim job on the rear fenders and used some sheet metal to clean up the cuts, if you haven't seen that yet I'd check it out, I linked it below for ya

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...l#post16931265

Unread 01-22-2014, 05:31 PM   #26
ian_red-zj
1998 ZJ 

Officially done with trimming. Got the rears welded up and repainted. I think it turned out pretty good. The material on the zj is very thin and a bit hard to weld, but it worked out ok. I used silicone to seal up the gaps in the wheel well wherever the sheet metal didn't cover. I added some pics of how it looked half trimmed, just so anyone who's thinking about doing this can see how there are two pieces of metal there. And a full shot of that gross cloth stuff! (I ripped it out and used duck tape to secure the fuel lines to the inside of the fender. At least I think they were fuel lines, there was a big hose on the right side.) So I haven't gotten it fully flexed out yet, but it looks like the rear wheels are going fit nicely in that new extra space. As for the front, I probably didn't need to take THAT much off, but I just followed the lines that were already there so it's all good. More room for flex in the future Which reminds me... I'm in the market for an adjustable front track bar and was wondering if there's a certain type or brand out there that will allow for the most possible articulation? I only have 3.5 inches of lift but am considering adding a budget boost someday, so do I need the drop bracket or no? Thanks to all the zj experts out there!
left-rear-half-cut.jpg

right-rear-half-cut.jpg

crap-hangin-out.jpg

left-rear-goochy.jpg

right-rear-goochy.jpg

left-side-full-jeep-goochy.jpg

right-side-full-jeep-goochy.jpg

Last edited by ian_red-zj; 01-23-2014 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: blurry pic
Unread 01-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #27
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Lookin' good man, as far as track bars, your best bet will be a double sheer/hd track bar such as IRO or RE. I got a good price on a RE double shear from Kolak. I like it so far! It replaces the stock bracket and joint and replaces them with a bracket more like a control arm with a 'jonny joint' type end on frame side. (Wrong terminology for everything but hopefully you get the idea)

Unread 01-22-2014, 09:31 PM   #28
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

Look into IRO or Clayton for track bars

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 10:40 PM   #29
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

Those rears are kind of tricky to trim out. You went quite a bit deeper than I did on mine but I feel your pain on trying to clean em up nice. Your fender wells look a little big but with larger tires would fill out nicely I bet. It came out looking pretty nice though

Build thread^^
Unread 01-22-2014, 10:44 PM   #30
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

This is how I did mine, I didnt go into the upper part of the wells though. So you should have some more room to stuff your tires for sure
p1030244.jpg  
p1030239.jpg

p1030240.jpg

p1030242.jpg

Build thread^^

Tags
build lift mud tires , build thread , led light bar , lift and tire combination , winch bumper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.