Rattle/scratchy noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rattle/scratchy noise

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 02-03-2007, 01:14 PM   #1
CWMac
1999 WJ 

Rattle/scratchy noise

From my engine bay front left ( RHD so not saying driver side :P ) when idle or driving i hear a scratchy rattle noise. Sounds like something spinning , so im assuming its the turbo but should it make a noise like it does?

Thanks.

CWMac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2007, 04:07 PM   #2
matt.x
1995 ZJ 

you've got a turbo?
Red Jeep Club Member #237
matt.x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
CWMac
1999 WJ 

Ok if you drive and build the revs to around 2k and floor it, what gives the kick then? keeping yer foot on floor ,once you hit 70 you get a second kick and the same noise.

OK so im taking it by the smart arse answer above theres no turbo but what makes the spinning scratchy sound in the engine bay? it sounds like a turbo venting every so often so i assumed it was one.

And i dont mean the kick from teh actually flooring ie kickdown/overdrive what ever you guys call it over there. The engine even changes pitch.

Last edited by CWMac; 02-03-2007 at 06:10 PM..
Unread 02-03-2007, 06:26 PM   #4
cmonson

anything that spins could make the "turbo" sound...haha

I would check the alternator, steering pump, ac compressor, idler pulley, fan clutch.
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
CWMac
1999 WJ 

Most of them are at the front all will be cycling at same speed as sepr belt.

Obviously you red knecks are lost here as you all seems to be with anything i ask. if it was which bb to go for or which "tire" to use its fine.

Forget it .
Unread 02-04-2007, 06:41 AM   #6
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

We can help you until you learn to write a proper sentence.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.