Randomly cuts out? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Randomly cuts out?

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-04-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
Tobroketojeep
1998 ZJ 

Randomly cuts out?

Hey guys I'm having a bit of a problem with my 98 zj with the 4.0. I will be driving and if I take a corner quick and give it some gas at the same time she momentarily cuts out and then comes back to life.. Not even sure where to begin there is no code being thrown so not sure what it may be .. : / looking for some help please!!

Tobroketojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 01:16 AM   #2
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobroketojeep
Hey guys I'm having a bit of a problem with my 98 zj with the 4.0. I will be driving and if I take a corner quick and give it some gas at the same time she momentarily cuts out and then comes back to life.. Not even sure where to begin there is no code being thrown so not sure what it may be .. : / looking for some help please!!
Time for a tune up? When was the time?
cgcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 02:43 AM   #3
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Could be a lot of things. But let's start with the easy ( and cheapest) fixes first. You might get lucky.

1. Clean your throttle body and IAC with throttle body cleaner. This is a very common area of problems, especially when the engine is going to and from and idle state. The IAC takes over when you let off the skinny pedal....and if it doesnt react quickly enough....well....you get the picture. The engine wants to die. So, clean the heck out of that throttle body, spraying all the little slits and holes with the cleaner. Removing the IAC is necessary so you can spray it ( dont try to adjust it !) and you also need to spray inside where it goes.
Of course, the BEST way is to remove the entire throttle body and clean it....but you can sometimes get by with not doing so for a while.

2. Buy a can of Seafoam and pour half of it in your fuel tank. It might smoke a little and smell funny for a little while, but Seafoam cleans a lot of stuff out of your tank, injectors, combustion chambers, etc. It works wonders sometimes...and will help with a water problem ( condensation) in your tank.

3. Did you get a recall notice for a fuel tank sending unit? If so....get it done.
4. Check fuel pressure at the rail with a gauge.
5. If you have done #1 and 2 above....then go to Zeejay's list below, of 12 things to do if it's stalling.....the dirty dozen...so to speak:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1.../#post14045654

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
dellis
1998 ZJ 

Oldfrog, your item #3 is was a recall on 1997 Jeeps only (recall 755, expired in 2008). The problem continued into the 1998 models, but there was no recall on the '98 models. Regardless, the recall was due to that variable resistor causing gauges to misread and wouldn't be the cause of his symptoms. Also, I doubt #2 would cause this problem, but it is a very good general maintenance item that can improve performance.

OP, Oldfrog's #1 and #4 would be two of the first things I would check if this were my Jeep. A dirty IAC can cause all sorts of performance havoc at low speeds. With regard to #4, I would check your fuel pressure at idle and then rev it to see if the pressure remains constant at around 48 PSI. Your symptoms seem like you are losing power during acceleration (a symptom of a fuel pressure problem), but a fuel pressure problem should also evidence itself, at some point, during acceleration while not turning. Still, I would check it first to rule it out.

The third thing I would do is to inspect the fluid of my power steering pump to make sure that it is healthy looking and filled properly. If there is a problem with your power steering, you could be getting some power loss or slippage that "feels" like the Jeep is cutting out.
dellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

usually ends up being a fuel delivery problem. swap out fuel pump relay with horn to eliminate as a cause. 2nd vote for fuel pressure check.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #6
Tobroketojeep
1998 ZJ 

You guys are awesome I will get on it tomorrow! I appreciate all of the feed back. Thanks so much guys you help so much I can't even explain
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
Tobroketojeep
1998 ZJ 

Cleaned the throttle body, sea foamed it and added leak stopping power steering fluid.. It was low. Now we wait and see
Unread 07-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobroketojeep View Post
You guys are awesome I will get on it tomorrow! I appreciate all of the feed back. Thanks so much guys you help so much I can't even explain
Hope it works out for you. If it does, just pass on to the next guy what you learned.

Just for grins, check your tranny fluid too.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

somebody else here had that problem and it ended up being a bad battery connection .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #10
Glued2aPost
1998 ZJ 

Both of my ZJ's did that for different reasons. My 5.2 had a bad ground.

My 5.9 had about a bad everything. A seized VC caused binding while turning requiring a bit more throttle. When the engine was warm, adding throttle caused it to cut out and I could smell gas. Bad spark. The spark plugs were absolutely destroyed. Probably hadn't been changed in 10 years. Swapped em out for some platinum ones and for good measure, changed all the fluids minus PS and trans, new paper filter, and cleaned the IAC. Now averages 15.6 mpg combined (hand calc). Battery cables also fell apart and got those taped back together for a temporary fix. Now to fix everything else....

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.