Radio replacement with infinity gold amplifier - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Radio replacement with infinity gold amplifier

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 12-19-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
jecko
1998 ZJ 

Radio replacement with infinity gold amplifier

Greetings all, I am writing from italy. I need your help.

I have a ZJ grand cherokee limited 1998 production, with an Infinity Gold sound system. I decided to replace the stock radio, and I need some information.

I was told that you can not use an aftermarket radio in the presence Infinity Gold amp, as it works with an impedance of 2 ohms instead of 4 ohms. This would result in damage to your car stereo with aftermarket amp to 4 ohms.

I'd like to know this information before the components are broken.

Greetings from Italy, you are great!

jecko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

You can use the Infinity amp with another radio. The amp accepts line level input. It's the Infinity speakers that are 2-ohm.

Oh and welcome
HighLonesome is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
jecko
1998 ZJ 

i have replaced stock speakers with another one because old are broken. It's a problem for overheating?
Unread 12-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
sebian
1995 ZJ 

I have replaced the head unit, and all my speakers with aftermarket parts. I am still using the Infinity Gold amp though, and no probs with anything.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecko View Post
i have replaced stock speakers with another one because old are broken. It's a problem for overheating?
If the replacment speakers are 4-ohm, they amp will run cooler.
Unread 12-21-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
jecko
1998 ZJ 

What you said is true. Today I installed the new radio, and there is no problem.

I had to make an homemaded plexyglass mask because i have used a radio 1DIN but with dimensions of about 1,5DIN.

In italy is impossible to find a 1,5DIN radio.

Eventually I put a photo.
Unread 12-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecko View Post
What you said is true. Today I installed the new radio, and there is no problem.

I had to make an homemaded plexyglass mask because i have used a radio 1DIN but with dimensions of about 1,5DIN.

In italy is impossible to find a 1,5DIN radio.

Eventually I put a photo.
That's because they don't really make them anymore anywhere. We just buy the dash kits that allow you to mount a single DIN into the 1.5 DIN slot.

It was free with my radio and I have another one for when I finally talk my buddies into a Jeep haha
Unread 12-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Rock on.
Unread 12-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
E-rok
1996 ZJ 

my 96 had a pioneer HU installed when I bought it, and the speakers sounded blown if I turned the volume up at all, it was terrible. got a stock HU at a JY and it sounds great now. the pioneer WAS installed with an install harness, but there was nowhere to plug in that small 2 wire plug, not sure what that was for. I almost bought new speakers thinking they were blown, good thing I didnt
E-rok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-rok View Post
my 96 had a pioneer HU installed when I bought it, and the speakers sounded blown if I turned the volume up at all, it was terrible. got a stock HU at a JY and it sounds great now. the pioneer WAS installed with an install harness, but there was nowhere to plug in that small 2 wire plug, not sure what that was for. I almost bought new speakers thinking they were blown, good thing I didnt
I believe in those years the VIC and the Radio had some communication for setting time. My 94 didn't have that plug.
Unread 12-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
E-rok
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody5788 View Post
I believe in those years the VIC and the Radio had some communication for setting time. My 94 didn't have that plug.
I change the time on the VIC and it doesnt change the time on the HU

either way, something with the aftermarket HU make the speakers sound horrible
E-rok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #12
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

The new head unit will probably sound much better without the stock amp. The stock infinity stuff is pretty poor quality.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 03:10 PM   #13
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
The stock infinity stuff is pretty poor quality.
What facts is that statement based upon? Its all made by Alpine and I have found the opposite to be true.
Unread 12-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #14
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I removed the stock stuff on both limiteds that I have owned and had both pre amped aftermarket head units sound much better than the stock stuff. It's cheap bottom of the barrel stuff with infinities stamp on it.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #15
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-rok View Post
I change the time on the VIC and it doesnt change the time on the HU

either way, something with the aftermarket HU make the speakers sound horrible
I'm not sure then, I had the same Pioneer you had I believe. Compared to my other ZJ with an OEM radio it did sound better. My Clarion beats out both of them.

Polka is right, If I went as far as bypassing or replacing the stock amp I am sure it would sound better. The stock Infinity amp is basically terrible but it would be a lot of work for me to change things.

As far as OEM vs Aftermarket, the connections you make in the harness can determine whether you get good or bad sound. Crimp connectors are somewhat ok but the best way is solder and heat shrink tube. This is what I did and I have no quality problems, it just lacks some of the notes that I think it should be able to reproduce.

Tags
infinity , radio , replace

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.