Radio power problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Radio power problem

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
Camswe
1997 ZJ 

Radio power problem

Hey, so i fixed most of the electrical issues i was having by cleaning my grounds but still one persists; when i push the power to my radio it turns on and displays the time for 6 seconds and then goes blank i can do this multiple times and it always does the same thing never hear any sounds and wont play any CD's. I was told maybe i should pop the head unit out and check the wires and grounds in the back? any suggestions?

Camswe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
edpmedic
1995 ZJ 

I am not really into radios but I would think you should do that if anything on the outside don't work. Maybe your having trouble with the power on/off switch being bad? I'm just guessing my radio works but I have no way to know what stations I am tuned to, plus my antenna when I turn it on or off makes noise to pull it up or down but it stays up. Also if I don't have a tape on the player the radio will not come on. If I pull the tape out the radio doesn't work....Other then that it sounds fine.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Feel the Sunshine on your face
edpmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

That would be a good place to start. If you think the ground is an issue, make your own ground lead.

There's also the possibility that your head unit is dying or dead. The easiest way to eliminate that possibility is to pull the radio out of the dash, take it over to your battery, and directly hook up power and ground to the battery. Make sure you hook up both power wires to positive, one is a constant power, the other is the keyed on power. If it still acts the same, your wiring isn't the problem.
Unread 05-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
Camswe
1997 ZJ 

OK i will do this shortly too test and ill see if i see any bad connections or any loose wires.
Camswe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
ShytWeAllDo
1998 ZJ 

Had exact same issue.. gave up, went to betbuy. The guy said that he had to run a new power wire.
ShytWeAllDo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShytWeAllDo View Post
Had exact same issue.. gave up, went to betbuy. The guy said that he had to run a new power wire.
That's exactly why I don't reuse the factory wiring. It doesn't take long to put in, and I know that the new wiring won't be an issue.

Tags
audio , electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.