Radio (OEM) unit and antena problems... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Radio (OEM) unit and antena problems...

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 05-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
kali_jeep
1995 ZJ 

Radio (OEM) unit and antena problems...

so i have the 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L I6... and ever since i got the jeep my radio sometimes woud act up and turn off, volume would go down, sometimes i am able to turn volume up and it works for a bit and then again it turns off the volume.... at that point i have to turn off/turn on the radio and turn volume up for it to work, and depending on the mood it might or might not work... notice it happens more in colder months... saw something on some cables before but can't find it now....

is this an easy fix, for you guys that had same issue? or am i looking into needing a new radio unit or cables/wires?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also, recently when turning off the unit, the antena stays extended and doesn't hide or go down - any ideas on this one?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks every1

kali_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

My Guess is that there's a short in the controls...I had a similar issue with the radio in my Dodge Ram... The good news is that its an easy fix...Just replace the radio...LOL...

An aftermarket stereo is probly cheaper then a factory unit, even if you found a used one....I picked up a JVC unit from wally world for $80...add the install kit for around $20-$30 and you got a good sounding stereo again...
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
kali_jeep
1995 ZJ 

yes, will be looking at a new unit - guess the 1995 unit has done it's job for many good years

btw, any idea on the athena issue?
Unread 05-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

Type antenna or antenna cable in the search function, you'll get a ton of hits on it.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Power antenna mast may not go down if bent or gummed up with crud, but can still hear the motor running.
Straighten, clean, and oil lightly.

Power antenna relay is located in Relay Center below glove box removable bottom panel.
Should be able to hear relay click when radio is powered ON/OFF.

Antenna motor is powered (via relay) from Fuse Block Fuse#1 (20 amp).
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

I would start with the stereo first and eliminate the possibility that its the head unit causing that problem first...It may not be sending power to the antenna...But it could also be a bad antenna motor or a bad ground...
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
kali_jeep
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensnelling View Post
Type antenna or antenna cable in the search function, you'll get a ton of hits on it.

Ken
best advise ever, thanks sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreaZJ View Post
Power antenna mast may not go down if bent or gummed up with crud, but can still hear the motor running.
Straighten, clean, and oil lightly.

Power antenna relay is located in Relay Center below glove box removable bottom panel.
Should be able to hear relay click when radio is powered ON/OFF.

Antenna motor is powered (via relay) from Fuse Block Fuse#1 (20 amp).
yes, i still hear the motor running... antenna seems straight but i will take a look at it again and try to clean and oil as you suggested - will go from there, much appreciated the info and diagram, very very helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba974 View Post
I would start with the stereo first and eliminate the possibility that its the head unit causing that problem first...It may not be sending power to the antenna...But it could also be a bad antenna motor or a bad ground...
i will also check the wires and see if that has anything to do with it, i read somewhere that it might be some wires by the passenger door causing the radio to act up, and maybe why the antenna also is having issues...

will report back when i get this looked at - thanks guys for your help
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #8
kali_jeep
1995 ZJ 

so here are some pics of the antenna, took it off the jeep to inspect.
by looking at the pics can you tell me if the antenna/cable is broken and if so is what i need to fix be a replacement mast?
i'm a n0ob when it comes to this so take it easy on me, aight

and link to site for antenna mast replacement:
http://www.antennamastsrus.com/Jeep/...01994-1997.htm

thanks guys/gals
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
kali_jeep
1995 ZJ 

am sure someone can help me
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
kali_jeep
1995 ZJ 

bump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali_jeep View Post
so here are some pics of the antenna, took it off the jeep to inspect.
by looking at the pics can you tell me if the antenna/cable is broken and if so is what i need to fix be a replacement mast?
i'm a n0ob when it comes to this so take it easy on me, aight

and link to site for antenna mast replacement:
http://www.antennamastsrus.com/Jeep/...01994-1997.htm

thanks guys/gals
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Worm gear in the motor is broken. Not an easily replaceable/repairable part. Get a universal Harada antenna and reinstall.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 01:52 AM   #12
kali_jeep
1995 ZJ 

Update: after installing a new radio the fade out issue is now resolved so far so good...

Antenna still broken, won't go down, will look into getting a replacement mast and do that replacement next hopefully instructions will be good enough for me to do the job...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.