JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Radio (OEM) unit and antena problems... (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/radio-oem-unit-antena-problems-1525974/)

kali_jeep 05-20-2013 04:02 PM

Radio (OEM) unit and antena problems...
 
so i have the 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L I6... and ever since i got the jeep my radio sometimes woud act up and turn off, volume would go down, sometimes i am able to turn volume up and it works for a bit and then again it turns off the volume.... at that point i have to turn off/turn on the radio and turn volume up for it to work, and depending on the mood it might or might not work... notice it happens more in colder months... saw something on some cables before but can't find it now....

is this an easy fix, for you guys that had same issue? or am i looking into needing a new radio unit or cables/wires?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also, recently when turning off the unit, the antena stays extended and doesn't hide or go down - any ideas on this one?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks every1 :thumbsup:

jabba974 05-20-2013 04:09 PM

My Guess is that there's a short in the controls...I had a similar issue with the radio in my Dodge Ram... The good news is that its an easy fix...Just replace the radio...LOL...

An aftermarket stereo is probly cheaper then a factory unit, even if you found a used one....I picked up a JVC unit from wally world for $80...add the install kit for around $20-$30 and you got a good sounding stereo again...

kali_jeep 05-21-2013 12:01 PM

yes, will be looking at a new unit - guess the 1995 unit has done it's job for many good years ;)

btw, any idea on the athena issue?

kensnelling 05-21-2013 02:08 PM

Type antenna or antenna cable in the search function, you'll get a ton of hits on it.

Ken

KoreaZJ 05-21-2013 09:52 PM

Power antenna mast may not go down if bent or gummed up with crud, but can still hear the motor running.
Straighten, clean, and oil lightly.

Power antenna relay is located in Relay Center below glove box removable bottom panel.
Should be able to hear relay click when radio is powered ON/OFF.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2vsludv.png

Antenna motor is powered (via relay) from Fuse Block Fuse#1 (20 amp).

jabba974 05-24-2013 12:21 AM

I would start with the stereo first and eliminate the possibility that its the head unit causing that problem first...It may not be sending power to the antenna...But it could also be a bad antenna motor or a bad ground...

kali_jeep 05-24-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kensnelling (Post 15462061)
Type antenna or antenna cable in the search function, you'll get a ton of hits on it.

Ken

best advise ever, thanks sir :highfive:


Quote:

Originally Posted by KoreaZJ (Post 15464433)
Power antenna mast may not go down if bent or gummed up with crud, but can still hear the motor running.
Straighten, clean, and oil lightly.

Power antenna relay is located in Relay Center below glove box removable bottom panel.
Should be able to hear relay click when radio is powered ON/OFF.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2vsludv.png

Antenna motor is powered (via relay) from Fuse Block Fuse#1 (20 amp).

yes, i still hear the motor running... antenna seems straight but i will take a look at it again and try to clean and oil as you suggested - will go from there, much appreciated the info and diagram, very very helpful :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabba974 (Post 15474229)
I would start with the stereo first and eliminate the possibility that its the head unit causing that problem first...It may not be sending power to the antenna...But it could also be a bad antenna motor or a bad ground...

i will also check the wires and see if that has anything to do with it, i read somewhere that it might be some wires by the passenger door causing the radio to act up, and maybe why the antenna also is having issues...

will report back when i get this looked at - thanks guys for your help :wave:

kali_jeep 06-07-2013 09:04 AM

so here are some pics of the antenna, took it off the jeep to inspect.
by looking at the pics can you tell me if the antenna/cable is broken and if so is what i need to fix be a replacement mast?
i'm a n0ob when it comes to this so take it easy on me, aight :D

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...p/IMAG0867.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...p/IMAG0868.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...p/IMAG0869.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...p/IMAG0870.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...p/IMAG0871.jpg


and link to site for antenna mast replacement:
http://www.antennamastsrus.com/Jeep/...01994-1997.htm

thanks guys/gals :highfive:

kali_jeep 06-12-2013 07:06 PM

am sure someone can help me :wave:

kali_jeep 06-24-2013 11:44 AM

bump?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kali_jeep (Post 15531106)
so here are some pics of the antenna, took it off the jeep to inspect.
by looking at the pics can you tell me if the antenna/cable is broken and if so is what i need to fix be a replacement mast?
i'm a n0ob when it comes to this so take it easy on me, aight :D

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...p/IMAG0867.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...p/IMAG0868.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...p/IMAG0869.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...p/IMAG0870.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...p/IMAG0871.jpg


and link to site for antenna mast replacement:
http://www.antennamastsrus.com/Jeep/...01994-1997.htm

thanks guys/gals :highfive:


jeeepguy 06-24-2013 06:34 PM

Worm gear in the motor is broken. Not an easily replaceable/repairable part. Get a universal Harada antenna and reinstall.

kali_jeep 11-26-2013 01:52 AM

Update: after installing a new radio the fade out issue is now resolved :thumbsup: so far so good...

Antenna still broken, won't go down, will look into getting a replacement mast and do that replacement next :fear: hopefully instructions will be good enough for me to do the job...


The time now is 11:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.