Radio/Antenna not functioning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Radio/Antenna not functioning

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 10-08-2003, 05:59 PM   #1
mrgmoreno

Radio/Antenna not functioning

I own a 94 JGC Lim. For the past few days, the antenna is not coming up when I start the ignition or when I turn on the radio. I checked all the fuses and all are intact.

Please advise of any other tests I can perform to diagnose the problem.

Thanks

mrgmoreno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2003, 09:27 AM   #2
PC_96_GCL_ZJ_OZ

Does the antenna motor make a sound? If so then the nylon cable that psuhes/pulls the antenna is derailed or jammed. Removing the antenna is not too hard, I did mine last week. The problem with replacement is that when you go to look for a $20 replacement power antenna, the shaft is different to the Jepp OEM unit, my advice is to use a multimeter to check for + voltage to the antenna when the radio is turned on, if voltage is present and the motor makes no noise then remove the antenna and take it roud to a few auto shops to find one to match. The shaft is removable from the power antenna assy so you might be able to retro fit it to an aftermarket model. If you do have a sound from the antenna then remove it, strip it, remove all the old lithium grease and other gunk buildup and regrease liberally using white lithium grease. Then use something like WD40 spray to spray the inside of the antenna and the nylon cable, work it up and doen then use an old toothbrush to cleean the teach on the bylon toothed cable. Then regrease the mylon cable and refit. It really isn;t hard at all.

To remove the antenna you will need to locat the power & antenna plugs inside the car close to the front guard, unplug them then locate the rubber grommet and push it thru into the guard. Then remove the inside guard plastic cover, pull out the foam and then use a socket to remove the 2 bolts holding in the antenna assy. Then (or before) remove the nut/ring thing on the top of the antenna and the whole thing will drop down and out.

I went to all this trouble myseld because in Australia we have very limited choices for replaceent and the Jeep dealer wanted US $300 for a new antenna!!! Keep in mind that the actual antenna with the nylon toothed cord is an orderable part on its own if it's teeth are stripped.

Regards

PC
PC_96_GCL_ZJ_OZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2003, 09:31 AM   #3
PC_96_GCL_ZJ_OZ

Oh yeah, if you check for voltage to the antenna and you don't have any then chase it back to the stereo to see if it is putting the voltage out If the stereo is not outputting the voltage then you will have to have the stereo looked at or install a ignition based circuit to run the antenna motor for a set time with ignition on and ignition off, works ok but is hell in an auto car wash!

If the stereo is stuffed then goto ebay.com and get a used one!

PC
Unread 10-09-2003, 04:59 PM   #4
LawFox32

sorry to possibly hi-jack your thread, but my antenna will go up but will not go down, any ideas from anyone, when I have time I will take it out and lube it up and see if that helps but I am wondering if anyone has had the problem of not coming down
LawFox32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2003, 07:29 AM   #5
PC_96_GCL_ZJ_OZ

Your solution is pretty much the same as my previous response, the key is can you hear the motor running and/or is there voltage on the power antenna cable. Most power antennas will benefit from a stripdown and clean. The likely reason that your antenna will not go down is that the nylon cable has either borken off at the end or is missing teeth.

PC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.