Radio about shot? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Radio about shot?

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-09-2004, 10:14 PM   #1
boxoffire

Radio about shot?

I have a 93 Grand Cherokee Laredo with a radio that is going down hill. First the knob stopped working and wouldn't let me cut it off/on. Thank GOD it was on when this stopped working so I figured ok, if I don't want to hear it I'll just turn the volume down. No problem. Well now the radio stops randomly and the stupid retractable antenna previous owner had installed just starts going down and no radio anymore. First I thought it was the antenna system so I just unplugged the darn thing under passenger dash but this wasn't the answer. Radio still cuts off randomly while antenna stays up too. Well, now if I bang on the dash above the radio, it will play for a bit and then quit again. Does my sorry radio need replacing or is their a bad connection in there probably? Sound system in these cars stink anyway in my opinion. Anybody got a stock radio they have pulled out of there 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo they want to sell me? LOL...

Thanks for any suggestions/input folks.

Have a great weekend.

Adam

boxoffire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2004, 10:34 PM   #2
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxoffire
I have a 93 Grand Cherokee Laredo with a radio that is going down hill. First the knob stopped working and wouldn't let me cut it off/on. Thank GOD it was on when this stopped working so I figured ok, if I don't want to hear it I'll just turn the volume down. No problem. Well now the radio stops randomly and the stupid retractable antenna previous owner had installed just starts going down and no radio anymore. First I thought it was the antenna system so I just unplugged the darn thing under passenger dash but this wasn't the answer. Radio still cuts off randomly while antenna stays up too. Well, now if I bang on the dash above the radio, it will play for a bit and then quit again. Does my sorry radio need replacing or is their a bad connection in there probably? Sound system in these cars stink anyway in my opinion. Anybody got a stock radio they have pulled out of there 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo they want to sell me? LOL...

Thanks for any suggestions/input folks.

Have a great weekend.

Adam
Ok, your antenna is going down because your radio is turning off. What you have to do is figure out why your radio is turning off and fix it without using a hammer.
Start at the back of the radio and check all your connections to ensure they are solid. If beating on the dash makes it work, then chances are the loose connector is located in that area.

HTH
Unread 09-09-2004, 10:41 PM   #3
boxoffire

Thanks wvd, I'll check that before buying anything new. Sometimes beating on the dash does not work at all. Seems to work if I do it after just starting up for a while and then quits again. Beating on it after it's warm up a while usually doesn't get it going again. LOL... It has progressively gotten worse lately and wonder if radio is problem for sure. It is over 11 years old now. Sometimes I'll just be riding down the road and up goes the antenna and a song playing on the radio. Usually a good one like the Beatles "Let it Be" or "Live and Let Die". Maybe GOD is talking to me!!!
boxoffire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2004, 10:43 PM   #4
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxoffire
Thanks wvd, I'll check that before buying anything new. Sometimes beating on the dash does not work at all. Seems to work if I do it after just starting up for a while and then quits again. Beating on it after it's warm up a while usually doesn't get it going again. LOL... It has progressively gotten worse lately and wonder if radio is problem for sure. It is over 11 years old now. Sometimes I'll just be riding down the road and up goes the antenna and a song playing on the radio. Usually a good one like the Beatles "Let it Be" or "Live and Let Die". Maybe GOD is talking to me!!!

The Devil is in my radio!
Unread 09-10-2004, 08:22 PM   #5
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Mine died about a year ago and I installed a Sony Exploid. Very nice and it has a remote also. Sometimes it is sooo hard to reach from the steering wheel to the dash.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2004, 06:57 AM   #6
madmanfrommars

Mine died about two years ago, it wouldn't play CDs without skipping.

I bought a pioneer radio with a six cd changer. I love it.
madmanfrommars is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.