radiator one side hot one cold - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > radiator one side hot one cold

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 02-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
plntman
1998 ZJ 

radiator one side hot one cold

I changed my radiator today and upper hose. The jeep gets hot but only to about 180-200 just below the 210 mark. The thero is new 3 months ago. the passenger side of the radiator is hot the drivers side is cold, both lines to the heater is hot and if i turn the heat on high it will start out hot but then cool off and the lines are still out going in and out. the lower radiator hose is cold. What is going on. I have the I6 4.0

plntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
McHiVeSlY637
1993 ZJ 

I also have that! It gets really hot on the temp and then it drops.. Did the radiator do anything. I don't want to overheat or anything new to the jeep so. Any input would be awesome. After about five mins my temp gets really high. But it doesn't seem to affect it yet... But when I shut it off it steams from the grill... I don't know what it is...
McHiVeSlY637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
sebian
1995 ZJ 

Check to make sure your lower hose has not collapsed, preventing proper flow. Water pump could be another possibility. How is the pressure on the upper hose? Should be firm when squeezing it.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
plntman
1998 ZJ 

to dark now to recheck bottom hose. but top hose was not firm but hot and lower was cold and looked normal
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
sebian
1995 ZJ 

Sounds like the system is not pressurizing. Is the radiator cap on securely, and rated for the proper system pressure? Should be an 18 lbs cap, the I6 might be different from the v8. Could also have air trapped in the system. What steps did you do to refill the system and how did you do it? How much coolant did you use to fill it?

Unread 02-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
plntman
1998 ZJ 

new cap 18lbs used only 2.5 gallons thought it was not enough but with the jeep running it would not take any more.
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
dylantheheeler
1996 ZJ 

Try burping the system if not already done
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
caseyliffick
1995 ZJ 

I had to burp my system for awhile to make it run right. When I replaced my rad in my old 4.0 it filled up, ran for 10 mins and as I kept squeezing the hose, I kept getting more and more air bubbles out. Eventually, I got them all and didn't have any problems after.
caseyliffick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
plntman
1998 ZJ 

how do you burp the system I got a BFH I can use on it. (the wife would be happy).
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
sebian
1995 ZJ 

Only 2.5 gallons? Wow, should be closer to 4 gallons. To burp it, if you can find a place to park where the front end is elevated slightly higher it usually helps to force the air out radiator. Allow it to cool enough so you dont get burned by coolant when you take the cap off, then start it up. Turn the heater to max heat and fan to hi. Let it run and start to pull coolant through the system. Top off the radiator frequently, and squeeze the upper hose occasionally to push air out. The upper hose will be squishy while the cap is off due to lack of pressure in the system. When you cant add any more coolant to the radiator, put the cap on and let it idle to build pressure up. This is when the upper and lower hose should start firming up. Make sure you have coolant in the overflow tank as well, as the system will pull from there as it needs to. It will probably take anywhere from 15-30 minutes to get the trapped air out.

Unread 02-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #11
MtnboyBamm
1993 ZJ 

Location: In between Bakersfield and Valencia Ca in a small town called Frazier Park, ca
Park your Jeep with the front of the vehicle higher than the rear. Use a jack or ramps if its flat around your house. Pull your radiator cap off. Run the engine until it gets to operating temp. it'll be messy, but you have to deal with it. When the thermostat opens you'll see the water level drop. Add water until full. Repeat process two or three times to make sure all air bubbles are out. When you're done, you'll have burped your system.
MtnboyBamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #12
plntman
1998 ZJ 

parked the jeep up hill well off my driveway with the front tires on the curb. and bought a spill proof funnel to burp it with. only burped 1/2 gallon max. hoses still are not firm. but heat works better after I pulled the ac compressor fuse cause it would stay running even when the button says off. I noticed condensation on the ac lines. all lines are hot. I think my water pump blades might be worn down from all the rust in the system from the PO.
Unread 02-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #13
McHiVeSlY637
1993 ZJ 

Check your water pump. Mine was doing the exact same thing. My water pump and my thermostat are shot
McHiVeSlY637 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.