Radiator not draining - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Radiator not draining

50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 06-01-2003, 10:23 PM   #1
BajaZJ

Radiator not draining

Today I tried to flush my radiator and change the fluid on my '94 ZJ 5.2L V8. I could only turn the petcock a 1/4 turn counter clockwise using a pair of pliers and did not want to force it any further. Nothing came out of the spout. Am I doing something wrong or could I have a bigger problem with my radiator?

Thanks,
Mike

BajaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2003, 02:42 AM   #2
Zaphod
SACPOWERTV.com

1981 J-Series Truck 

I just changed my radiator hoses and thermostat a month ago. same year and model as yours. the plug on the bottom of the radiator is a small white plug. unscrew it, and pull it away from the radiator. it will not come out all the way, but fluid will drain out. it is rather difficult to direct the flow, so be on ground you do not mind getting soaked in coolant fluid.

if nothing still comes out, you were running on an empty radiator, which is not physically possible. so something be wrong. best of luck. hope this helps.

"The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone,
somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people
over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2003, 06:24 AM   #3
BajaZJ

Sonar

Was your plug difficult to turn? I don't want to break a 9 year old piece of plastic, so I didn't force it. Mine is black (it may have been white as some point) with a tab where I was able to get a pair of pliers on it. It also has a spout beneath it where you can attach a hose to direct the flow. Is this like your setup? I was assuming that it is just a ball valve of some type and that's why it wouldn't go beyond a 1/4 turn. When I opened the radiator cap, the radiator was full and there is the proper amount of fluid in the overflow tank.

Mike
BajaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2003, 11:33 AM   #4
Zaphod
SACPOWERTV.com

1981 J-Series Truck 

Hmm, one of us must have a non-stock radiator. Your setup sounds easier (and cleaner) to use. Can't give you any advice on what I know nothing about. Best of luck.

"The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone,
somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people
over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2003, 02:40 PM   #5
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I just got a bucket and cut a hole in the bottom hose for it to drain out.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.