JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Radiator drain valve? 93 ZJ 4.0 (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/radiator-drain-valve-93-zj-4-0-a-425194/)

lawdogg 06-11-2007 09:32 AM

Radiator drain valve? 93 ZJ 4.0

I did some searching on here about changing out my radiator.

I have a few questions still:

1. The haynes manual says the radiator has a drain plug somewhere - I can't find it! There is a plastic shroud under there, do I need to take this off?

2. From searching, I found that you guys just unscrew the compression fittings on the rad itself instead of dealing with the weird fittings on the trans cooler lines - is this true? If so, how do you get to the compression fittings at the radiator? Remove all that crap under there first?

Thanks!!

-Ryan

ajmorell 06-11-2007 09:42 AM

I'm not sure on your second question, but the drain plug is on the lower passanger side of the radiator. I can't remember if you need to remove the shroud or not since mine hasn't been on in a while. It is plastic and just unscrews. This will drain the radiator, but not the engine block.

lawdogg 06-11-2007 09:44 AM

Thanks - I'll take that shroud off today and see if I can find it. Not interested in draining the block since I'm just changing out the radiator. :)

micifus 06-11-2007 09:52 AM

If you have the factory skid its a real PITA, I would suggest getting Radiator Flush Kit by prestone. It will make draining your radiator 100 times easier and all you to flush out a lot of junk by having water run through your system via a garden hose.:shhh:

ajmorell 06-11-2007 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawdogg
Thanks - I'll take that shroud off today and see if I can find it. Not interested in draining the block since I'm just changing out the radiator. :)

Just thought I'd let you know in case you were doing a flush and fill. You should just remove the shroud anyways as you will probably need to in order to remove the radiator.

lawdogg 06-11-2007 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmorell
Just thought I'd let you know in case you were doing a flush and fill. You should just remove the shroud anyways as you will probably need to in order to remove the radiator.

Thanks! I appreciate it. It kinda bugs me that with a billion times more room in the engine bay than I'm used to, it's still a PITA to work on the damn thing!! :brickwall

I'll take off that shroud and see if it clears things up at all - hopefully I'll find the drain on the passenger side and be able to take off those tranny cooler lines at the radiator with some wrenches -- another question: I assume those tranny cooler lines will leak tranny fluid when I take em off. Can I fill the tranny from the engine bay or will I have to fill it from below the Jeep?

micifus 06-11-2007 10:15 AM

never mind

micifus 06-11-2007 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawdogg
Thanks! I appreciate it. It kinda bugs me that with a billion times more room in the engine bay than I'm used to, it's still a PITA to work on the damn thing!! :brickwall

I'll take off that shroud and see if it clears things up at all - hopefully I'll find the drain on the passenger side and be able to take off those tranny cooler lines at the radiator with some wrenches -- another question: I assume those tranny cooler lines will leak tranny fluid when I take em off. Can I fill the tranny from the engine bay or will I have to fill it from below the Jeep?

The lines will leak very little if at all, I did not have to add any fluid after my rad change but if you do you can fill it from the top.

lawdogg 06-11-2007 11:06 AM

Thanks for the help. With any luck I'll report back successfully tomorrow. :D

greasefingers 06-11-2007 01:00 PM

If you can not find the drain-cock then you still have to remove the lower hose to replace the radiator, so that is how I would drain it. You might want to replace the upper & lower hoses as well?

lawdogg 06-11-2007 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greasefingers
If you can not find the drain-cock then you still have to remove the lower hose to replace the radiator, so that is how I would drain it. You might want to replace the upper & lower hoses as well?

Well the only reason I'm trying to do it neatly is because I'm technically not allowed to do this in my parking lot. If I so much as drip coolant on the pavement, the old lady next door will flip because her dumb little lapdog will lick it and die. Then I get kicked out. :brickwall

But yeah, that's how I'll do it if I can't get to the drain.

greasefingers 06-11-2007 01:46 PM

Ok just lie on your back and look up yet behind the lower splash guard. Itís hiding up in there at the bottom of the radiator (passengerís side) and of course the engine side of the rad. You will need a 16 in long piece hose approximate inner diameter (3/8Ē) to slip onto the drain cock with the splash guard in place.

driabyor 06-11-2007 02:03 PM

mine is one the lower left, driver's side. And man does it make a mess. I'm in the process of dewaterpumping it.
I can't believe it only lasted about 150,000 miles

ajmorell 06-11-2007 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by driabyor
mine is one the lower left, driver's side. And man does it make a mess. I'm in the process of dewaterpumping it.
I can't believe it only lasted about 150,000 miles

You also have a 5.2

driabyor 06-11-2007 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmorell
You also have a 5.2

Yes I do.... I just came in from working on it. Spent about an hour getting things ready. Did about 15 minute of actual work on the Jeep. Now minus the shroud, fan and belt.
Now off to Orielly's

The time now is 09:15 PM.